Magnetic induction/ goal ref technology

In summary, the technology uses a low frequency magnetic field to track the position and orientation of a soccer ball.
FranzDiCoccio
Hi,

I am interested in the basics of "goal ref technology", but I was not able to find a lot of material. Just one very brief wikipedia page and some paragraphs at the http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/en/ff/kom/proj/goalref.html#.

Does this work a bit like the anti shoplifting RFID tags?

As far as I understand, the coils in the ball are connected to a passive circuit. This should mean that the ball does not need power or electronics, right? Makes sense.

Then I think the electronics attached to the pickup coils in the goalposts looks for perturbations of the magnetic field originally created in the goal area. These perturbations come from the coils in the ball: when the ball crosses the goal line its coils pick up the "original" magnetic field, whose flux changes (both because the magnetic field itself is varying, and because the ball is likely to move quickly). By Faraday law this generates an induced emf and current, which in turn generates an induced magnetic field, adding to the original one.

I read that the "original" magnetic field is "low frequency".
What does that mean, exactly? How many Hz, approximately? How does that compare with that of RFID technology?

What is the need of having a varying magnetic field, anyway?

My guess is that it is useful when the ball crosses the line at very low speed, or when it is inside the goal, not moving.

Thanks a lot for any insight.

Franz

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a tube that is FIFA Quality.

I guess understanding and explaining technology isn't one of their top priorities.

Thanks,
I did find this video, but it does not explain much, as the "webpage" at Fraunhofer Institute. I understand the fact that it is a patented technology, but I'd just like to understand the basics of it.

I wanted some more detail, such as: what is the need of low frequency magnetic fields?
I think that in principle one could use a static magneticic field. The flux through the coils in the ball would change anyway, due to the speed and rotation of the ball.
Is this just a second-order improvement, or is it essential?

FranzDiCoccio said:
I did find this video, but it does not explain much, as the "webpage" at Fraunhofer Institute. I understand the fact that it is a patented technology, but I'd just like to understand the basics of it.

After poking around I found some stuff.

Complex Image Theory
http://www.disneyresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/RWS_2012_Arumugam.pdf

This is for football ( American style )
One loop for the football, with a battery, so an active circuit.
The soccer ball has three loops it looks like, probably because it can spin in any orientation.
Is Goal Ref a passive circuit in the ball?

https://www.disneyresearch.com/project/magnetoquasistatic-position-and-orientation-tracking-2/
http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/magazine/fall-winter2014/field.php
http://www.sciencealert.com/news/20140907-25847.html

This isn't actually Goal ref, but it might help you, as it did me, with some insight into low frequency magnetic positioning.

256bits,

thank you very much for your help! This is very interesting!
Also, apologies for the late reply. In the last couple of weeks I was very busy with something else, and I did not check PF.
Thanks again!
Franz

1. What is magnetic induction technology?

Magnetic induction technology is a method of generating electricity through the use of a magnetic field. This technology is commonly used in power generators, motors, and transformers.

2. How does magnetic induction technology work?

Magnetic induction technology works by using a changing magnetic field to induce an electric current in a conductive material. This is achieved by moving a magnet near a conductive material or by changing the magnetic field in a stationary coil near a conductive material.

3. What is goal ref technology?

Goal ref technology is a type of magnetic induction technology that is used in sports, specifically in soccer. It is used to determine if a goal has been scored by detecting when the ball crosses the goal line using sensors placed in the goal posts and a magnetic field around the ball.

4. How accurate is goal ref technology?

Goal ref technology is highly accurate, with a margin of error of only a few millimeters. It has been extensively tested and has been approved for use by various sports associations, including FIFA.

5. What are the advantages of using magnetic induction/goal ref technology?

One major advantage of using magnetic induction/goal ref technology is that it eliminates human error in determining if a goal has been scored. It also provides more accurate and reliable results compared to traditional methods. Additionally, this technology can be used in various weather conditions and does not require any physical modifications to the playing field.