Magnetic Induction (Non-uniform Current)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic induction inside and outside a long wire with a given current density. The two methods for finding the magnetic field inside are presented, with the second method being deemed correct. An explanation is also given for why the magnetic field outside is zero.
roam

Homework Statement

long wire of radius R0 carries a current density j given by

Find the magnetic induction B inside and outside the wire.

Homework Equations

Current density: ##J=\frac{I}{A}##

Ampere's law: ##\oint B.dl = \mu_0 I_{enc}##

The Attempt at a Solution

For the magnetic field inside (ρ<R0) using Ampere's law:

##\oint B . dl = B 2 \pi \rho = \mu_0 I_{enc}##

Now I'm not sure what to use as Ienc. If I use the relationship

##I_{enc}=JA=j_0 \frac{\rho}{R} \pi \rho^2 = j_0 \frac{\rho^3 \pi}{R}##

I get

##B= \frac{\mu_0 j_0 \rho^2 }{2 R_0}##

But if I integrate (in cylindrical coordinates) I will get a different value for Ienc:

##I_{enc}= \int \frac{j_0 \rho}{R_0} (\rho \ d \rho \ d \phi) = \frac{j_0}{R_0} 2 \pi \int^\rho_0 \rho^2 d \rho = \frac{2 \pi j_0 \rho^3}{3R_0}##

Therefore I get a different value for B:

##B=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 \rho^2}{3R_0}##

So which method is correct? :confused:

And for the magnetic field outside, I get ##B=0## since the RHS of Ampere's equation is 0. But shouldn't the magnetic field inside a conducting wire be zero, and non-zero outside it?

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because J is a function of radius. [tex]I=\int { J\cdot dA } [/tex] The second method looks fine.

For the second question: What is the enclosed current outside? Is it zero?

Likes 1 person
roam said:

You don't need to integrate over phi explicitly. Using r in place of ρ:

A differential annulus of area dA = 2πr dr contains current di = j(r)dA = 2πr j(r) dr
so current within radius r = 2πj0/R00r r2 dr
= 2πj0r3/3R0
= 2πrB/μ0 etc.

What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor.

What is non-uniform current?

Non-uniform current refers to a situation where the current flowing through a conductor is not evenly distributed, meaning that different parts of the conductor have different magnitudes or directions of current.

How does non-uniform current affect magnetic induction?

Non-uniform current can affect magnetic induction in a number of ways. For example, it can create areas of higher or lower magnetic flux density, which can in turn affect the strength and direction of the induced current. It can also lead to more complex and varied electromagnetic fields.

What are some real-world applications of magnetic induction with non-uniform current?

Magnetic induction with non-uniform current has a wide range of applications in technology and industry. Some examples include transformers, electric motors, generators, and various types of sensors. It is also used in energy production, such as in hydroelectric dams and nuclear power plants.

How is magnetic induction with non-uniform current studied and measured?

Scientists and engineers use various techniques to study and measure magnetic induction with non-uniform current. This can include mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical experiments with specialized equipment such as magnetic field sensors and oscilloscopes. The results of these studies can help inform the design and optimization of devices that utilize magnetic induction.