Magnetic length of a bar magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnetic monopoles in magneto statics and the difference between the magnetic length and geometrical length of a bar magnet. The speaker is struggling to understand why the monopoles cannot be assumed to be at the ends of the magnet and requests a detailed explanation. The other person explains that for the field far from the magnet, this is possible by adjusting the strength of the virtual monopoles, but for the field close to the magnet, it is more complicated. They share a link to a BBC image and another resource to help visualize the magnetic field lines.
phymathlover
We just started magneto statics in school and were told about the use of magnetic monopoles for problem-solving reasons. So we were told that the magnetic length of a bar magnet differs from its geometrical length. I can't quite seem to figure out why we can't assume the monopoles to be right at the ends of the magnet. I do know that a bar magnet can be compared to a long solenoid but we haven't yet studied about either of them in detail and I suffer epic fails whenever I try to get ahead of the class. So a detailed explanation would be really helpful, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't quite seem to figure out why we can't assume the monopoles to be right at the ends of the magnet.
For the field far away from the magnet, you can. You just have to adjust the strength of those virtual monopoles to the distance between them.
For the field close to the magnet, this is not possible, the field is more complicated.

Could you possibly give me a picture or something of the magnetic fields at the end. So that's the reason then? That the magnetic field lines are complicated? I'm still really confused, a little more detail would be really helpful

BBC has a good image http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/science/energy_electricity_forces/magnets_electric_effects/revision/3/. You don't get that field with two monopoles.

What is the magnetic length of a bar magnet?

The magnetic length of a bar magnet refers to the distance between the north and south poles of the magnet. It is typically measured in centimeters or inches.

How is the magnetic length of a bar magnet determined?

The magnetic length of a bar magnet is determined by measuring the distance between the two poles of the magnet using a ruler or caliper. It can also be calculated by dividing the total length of the magnet by two.

Does the magnetic length of a bar magnet affect its strength?

Yes, the longer the magnetic length of a bar magnet, the stronger its magnetic field will be. This is because a longer magnet has a larger surface area for the magnetic field to interact with.

Can the magnetic length of a bar magnet be changed?

No, the magnetic length of a bar magnet is a physical property and cannot be altered. However, the strength of the magnet can be increased by adding more magnetic material or decreasing the distance between the poles.

What factors can affect the magnetic length of a bar magnet?

The material used to make the magnet, its shape and size, and the strength of the magnetic field it is exposed to can all affect the magnetic length of a bar magnet.