Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic length of a bar magnet

1. Jul 23, 2013 #1
    We just started magneto statics in school and were told about the use of magnetic monopoles for problem-solving reasons. So we were told that the magnetic length of a bar magnet differs from its geometrical length. I can't quite seem to figure out why we can't assume the monopoles to be right at the ends of the magnet. I do know that a bar magnet can be compared to a long solenoid but we haven't yet studied about either of them in detail and I suffer epic fails whenever I try to get ahead of the class. So a detailed explanation would be really helpful, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For the field far away from the magnet, you can. You just have to adjust the strength of those virtual monopoles to the distance between them.
    For the field close to the magnet, this is not possible, the field is more complicated.

4. Jul 24, 2013 #3
    Could you possibly give me a picture or something of the magnetic fields at the end. So that's the reason then? That the magnetic field lines are complicated? I'm still really confused, a little more detail would be really helpful

5. Jul 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

BBC has a good image here. You don't get that field with two monopoles.

6. Jul 24, 2013 #5

jtbell

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook