1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic levitation - superconductors

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    The question I have is rather simple and straightforward so here it is: How much weight can a magnet support and still levitate above a superconductor?

We all know about super fast levitating trains and I want to use the same idea for something else. However before looking deeper into magnetic levitation and starting a research I would like to make sure it is actually even possible.

So putting a permanent magnet above a superconductor:
    - does it barely levitate or
    - could it hold ##1000m## and still levitate if ##m## is the mass of the magnet?

I am not looking for an analytic solution. Just a rough guess or a link to some article would be good enough at the moment! Basically the whole idea is that I want to lift (for a couple of mm would suffice) an object using a levitation. The levitation has to be stable.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That's not unrealistic.

This paper could have numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook