Magnetic monopoles are beyond me

In summary: Not so fast. The standard model predicts the existence of magnetic monopoles. Look up "T hooft Polyakov monopole" for more information.In summary, magnetic monopoles are possible, but they are very rare and too massive to be produced in colliders.
PeterPeter
How can you possibly have a magnetic monopole? The field lines must terminate somewhere, surely!

I heard about them on a cosmology video on YouTube.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good reason not to get your physics from videos on YouTube. :smile:

But if you are going to indulge, at least give us the link so that we can tell you whether that particular video is any good. In this case, I'm skeptical because there are no magnetic monopoles.

PeterPeter said:
How can you possibly have a magnetic monopole? The field lines must terminate somewhere, surely!
field lines from a magnetic monopole may end on a magnetic monopole of opposite magnetic charge.

It was sometime ago so I don't recall the exact video. I did attempt to watch the early Cosmology Lectures by Leonard Susskind so it was probably mentioned in one of those. Sorry, I can't be more specific.

Nugatory said:
That's a good reason not to get your physics from videos on YouTube. :smile:

But if you are going to indulge, at least give us the link so that we can tell you whether that particular video is any good. In this case, I'm skeptical because there are no magnetic monopoles.

Not so fast. The standard model predicts the existence of magnetic monopoles. Look up "T hooft Polyakov monopole"

dauto said:
Not so fast. The standard model predicts the existence of magnetic monopoles. Look up "T hooft Polyakov monopole"

OK, OK, if the video in question is discussing this hypothetical possibility I'm not so skeptical.

However, I stand by the heuristic value of my comment about not getting one's physics from youtube videos :smile:

Magnetic field lines don't terminate. They go in loops.
Magnetic monopoles are possible in the sense that they aren't ruled out by our known laws, but we haven't found them so they probably don't exist.

Khashishi said:
No, magnetic field lines can start and end on magnetic monopoles as ## \nabla \cdot B=\rho_\mathrm{m}##, where ##\rho_\mathrm{m}## is the magnetic monopole density. Only if the latter is zero, the magnetic field is divergence free.

Khashishi said:
Magnetic monopoles are possible in the sense that they aren't ruled out by our known laws, but we haven't found them so they probably don't exist.

"We haven't found them so they probably don't exist" isn't very rigorous logic. In fact, based on theoretical arguments, they probably do exist but are very rare and too massive to be produced in colliders.

Still Puzzled!

DrDu said:
No, magnetic field lines can start and end on magnetic monopoles.

1. Wouldn't this mean that there are as many north monopoles as there are south monopoles? In other words they come in pairs?

2. Suppose then there were just two monopoles in the (multi)universe, wouldn't this mean that the field would look identical to that of a (gigantic) bar magnet?

PeterPeter said:
1. Wouldn't this mean that there are as many north monopoles as there are south monopoles? In other words they come in pairs?

If the universe is closed, yes.

2. Suppose then there were just two monopoles in the (multi)universe, wouldn't this mean that the field would look identical to that of a (gigantic) bar magnet?

Yes, up to the flux inside the magnetic bar.

1. So, if the universe is closed, there would seem to be no point in talking about monopoles. We could just talk about gigantic magnets?

2. And if the Universe is not closed, presumably one pole could move so far away from us that a light signal couldn't reach us from it (because of the finite age of the universe) and so we'd be left with just a single pole?

1. No, there is still a difference between a usual, although gigantic, magnet and a monopole, namely that there is some coil or iron bar joining the two poles in a magnet while the monopoles are isolated objects.
2. Even in a closed universe, there may be monopoles so far away that light from them hasn't reached us.
The point is that with a closed universe and an unbalanced number of monopoles the field strength would become infinite as the field lines emanating from one uncompensated monopole could end nowhere and would therefore fill all space.

What are magnetic monopoles?

Magnetic monopoles are hypothetical particles that have a single magnetic charge, either a north pole or a south pole, instead of the dual magnetic charges of traditional magnets.

Why are magnetic monopoles considered to be beyond current scientific understanding?

Magnetic monopoles are considered to be beyond current scientific understanding because they have never been observed or detected in nature, and their existence would require a major revision of our current understanding of electromagnetism.

What is the significance of magnetic monopoles in physics?

Magnetic monopoles are significant in physics because they would provide a link between electricity and magnetism, allowing for a more unified understanding of these fundamental forces. They could also have implications for theories such as quantum mechanics and the search for a unified theory of everything.

How are scientists searching for magnetic monopoles?

Scientists are searching for magnetic monopoles by using particle accelerators to create high-energy collisions, as well as using specialized detectors to search for the presence of magnetic monopoles in cosmic rays and other astronomical phenomena.

What are the potential applications of magnetic monopoles?

The potential applications of magnetic monopoles are still largely unknown, but they could potentially be used in advanced technologies such as magnetic monopole motors and more efficient magnetic storage devices.