Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetic torque on cell membrane by MNPs

1. Jan 21, 2015 #1
    Hello,

Suppose sinosodial AC and pulsed DC magnetic fields with equal rms are applied on animal cells in the presence of magnetic nanoparticles. For the mean field strengths to be equal, the peak value of the square wave (with 50% duty cycles) must be sqrt. 2, which means that the maxiumum field strength of DC will be higher than that of AC. This will lead to a greater torque on the nanoparticles.

My question is if the nanoparticles are near or attached to cell membrane, will the elastic stress on the membrane be responsible for more nanoparticle entering cell than AC field? I can predict such mechanism but I need reliable sources. Any piece of information is appreciated,

Thank you.

edit: Question2. If you know anything about magnetic fields affecting the permeability of cell membrane, please share.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps it's my lack of knowledge wrt electrical and magnetic engineering but I can't quite tell what you are proposing. Magnetic nanoparticles are an active area of research for drug delivery, have you looked into this at all? You can easily find a lot of literature. Here's a fairly recent review on the topic:

Magnetic nanoparticles and drug delivering, 2010
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1043661810000289

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    Ryan m b, I am quite into the subject but thank you anyways. I am asking for an explanation of nanoparticles inside pulsed DC penetrating the membrane more than AC fields, preferably with examples.

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Why would increased max torque preferentially cause particles to enter the cell?

Cellular uptake of superparamagnetic iron oxide particles has quite a bit of literature. It seems that the predominant pathway is through endocytosis. I don't know how torque would affect endocytosis. That is a process that is more mediated by surface chemicals and labels and so forth. Here is a tutorial:

http://www.jnanobiotechnology.com/content/pdf/1477-3155-11-S1-S7.pdf

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook