Magnetic vector potential of finite wire

In summary, the conversation discusses two different solutions for finding the vector potential in an xy-plane, one from a book and one from a teacher. The book's solution finds the vector potential at a specific point, while the teacher's solution is more general and can find the vector potential for any value of z. However, if z is set to 0 in the teacher's solution, it will give the same result as the book's solution. The person is questioning if the book's solution is incorrect because it does not consider the z dependence.
zezima1

Homework Statement

The problem statement is attached.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the problem. However, my teachers solutions notes and my book's do it differently, and I want to ask what the difference is, so I have attached them both. My book does it the way I did it. My teacher's however introduces a dummy variable z', which is integrated over rather than z. Thus we end up with an expression that actually contains z. What is geometrically the difference between these two solutions? Clearly in my book's solutions the origin is placed a distance z1 below the wire - where is the origin in my teachers note's?

Cheers :)

Attachments

• problemstatement.png
    problemstatement.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,167
  • solutions.png
    solutions.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,352
Physics news on Phys.org
The book's calculation finds the vector potential in the xy-plane, at a point a distance s from the origin. Your teacher's calculation is more general. It finds the vector potential for any z. If you set z=0 in his or her solution, you'll get the book's solution.

vela said:
The book's calculation finds the vector potential in the xy-plane, at a point a distance s from the origin. Your teacher's calculation is more general. It finds the vector potential for any z. If you set z=0 in his or her solution, you'll get the book's solution.

I do not understand, how can we do this only in the xy-plane, doesn't the vector field also depends on z? I think the textbook solution is wrong because we have to consider z dependence but not simply set it to 0.

1. What is the magnetic vector potential of a finite wire?

The magnetic vector potential of a finite wire is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field created by a wire with a non-zero length. It is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the magnetic field at any point in space around the wire.

2. How is the magnetic vector potential of a finite wire calculated?

The magnetic vector potential of a finite wire can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current flowing through the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire. The integral form of the Biot-Savart law is typically used to calculate the magnetic vector potential.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic vector potential of a finite wire?

The magnetic vector potential of a finite wire is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of magnetic fields around a wire. It is also used in various applications, such as calculating the magnetic forces and torques on objects in the vicinity of the wire.

4. Can the magnetic vector potential of a finite wire be negative?

Yes, the magnetic vector potential of a finite wire can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the current in the wire is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field it produces. In this case, the magnetic vector potential will have a negative sign, indicating that the magnetic field is in the opposite direction.

5. How does the magnetic vector potential of a finite wire relate to the magnetic field?

The magnetic vector potential of a finite wire is related to the magnetic field through the equation B = ∇ x A, where B is the magnetic field, A is the magnetic vector potential, and ∇ x A is the curl of A. This relationship allows us to calculate the magnetic field from the magnetic vector potential and vice versa.