1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetism, electrical and thermal conductivity of metals

1. Dec 18, 2013 #1
    1. I would like to test myself on how well I know my information about certain metals, some of them get me a bit puzzled.

How would you rate the electrical conductivity of cast iron?
    Poor, good, excellent or best?

Also the thermal conductivity of 304 stainless steel?
    Poor, good, excellent or best?

I know that most ferrous metals are magnetic, right? The metals and alloys, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, alpha brass, mild steel, copper, phosphor bronze, tool steel, HSLA steel, zinc, lead, magnesium. Which ones would you expect to be attracted to a magnet?

3. -I think the first one is poor, and the second one is either poor or good?

-My thought is mild steel and cast iron, any that I missed?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"Poor, good, excellent or best" depends on the scale. Compared to wood, for example, all (?) metals are excellent electric conductors. I would not describe cast iron as "poor" conductor. The same goes for the steel: touch it, if it feels cold it is certainly not a poor thermal conductor.

What about all the other ferrous metals in the list?

4. Dec 20, 2013 #3
    So the ferrous metals I think are Stainless steel, cast iron, mild steel, tool steel and HSLA steel. Are these all attracted to a magnet?

5. Dec 20, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

What do you think?

(Stainless steel and steel tools should be easy to get for a test, by the way).

6. Dec 20, 2013 #5
    I would think that mild steel and cast iron would be, possibly tool steel? And the rest I don't think they do. Unfortunately I don't have any magnets.

7. Dec 20, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Nearly everything based on iron is ferromagnetic and is therefore attracted by a magnet, and steel is based on iron.
    And in doubt, check the internet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted