Need help to explain the peak of thermal conductivity

In summary, the experimental data of thermal conductivity for stainless steel 304L at low temperature shows a strange peak at around 190K, which is significantly higher than nearby data points. This peak cannot be explained by changes in chemical composition and may be due to a problem with the numerical integration algorithm used. However, if the peak is real, it could potentially be explained by a phase change temperature of gases in the experimental environment. Further investigation is needed to determine the cause of this peak.
sunmaggot
0JBDSbehHHt-LBHMZbGvYn7bBP8ricsfr5T8CPrrjLPJtWNceL-K7B7Oar2NbwWdiqiO-8uceQZJzpVe_yBDx7602tmP8rM0.png

Progress
This is the experimental data of thermal conductivity of stainless steel 304L at low temperature. The data is calculated with the Fourier's law of thermal conduction. I checked many times in the excel file and I confirmed that there is no mistake in the calculation. The parameters are also correct. What I see in here is that the sample used has much higher thermal conductivity than it should be. I compared with different reference and they all show that at 300K, the K should not exceed 16. So I concluded that this sample has below standard impurities level.

Problem
However, there is a strange peak at around 190K. That data is not one data. I did around 9 data at that point and it shows that the K is really higher than the nearby data point. Then I need to explain this peak. I tried to relate this with the thermal conductivity of the chemical composition. However, the position of the peak is at 190K. The change in thermal conductivity for different material should not be vigorous at this temperature. How can I possibly explain such phenomenon?

Attachments

• 0JBDSbehHHt-LBHMZbGvYn7bBP8ricsfr5T8CPrrjLPJtWNceL-K7B7Oar2NbwWdiqiO-8uceQZJzpVe_yBDx7602tmP8rM0.png
    0JBDSbehHHt-LBHMZbGvYn7bBP8ricsfr5T8CPrrjLPJtWNceL-K7B7Oar2NbwWdiqiO-8uceQZJzpVe_yBDx7602tmP8rM0.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 614
Science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you're not getting answers. I don't know of any such peaks.

I don't understand why you are so sure it is not a problem of the algorithm you used to integrate numerically the diff. equation. I'm not an expert, but 190K is a very low temperature... I don't see how any properties (thermal conductivity, heat capacity, viscousness...) should behave like that. I would try to change the algorithm.

If it is real though, there must be a very cool explanation! Hope you'll come up with something!

Is 190K near a phase change temperature of any gasses in the experimental environment?

What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat flows through a material, per unit of length, per unit of area, and per unit of temperature difference.

What causes the peak of thermal conductivity?

The peak of thermal conductivity is caused by the thermal vibrations of atoms or molecules in a material. As temperature increases, these vibrations also increase, allowing for more efficient transfer of heat energy.

How does the peak of thermal conductivity affect materials?

The peak of thermal conductivity can greatly impact the properties of a material. Materials with high thermal conductivity are better at conducting heat, making them useful for applications such as heat sinks and thermal insulation. On the other hand, materials with low thermal conductivity are better at insulating and are used in applications like thermos bottles.

Can the peak of thermal conductivity be manipulated?

Yes, the peak of thermal conductivity can be manipulated by changing the composition or structure of a material. For example, adding impurities or defects can decrease thermal conductivity, while increasing crystallinity can increase thermal conductivity.

What factors can affect the peak of thermal conductivity?

The peak of thermal conductivity can be affected by various factors such as temperature, material composition, crystal structure, and the presence of impurities or defects. In addition, the type of heat transfer (conduction, convection, radiation) can also impact the peak of thermal conductivity.