Magnetism, electrical and thermal conductivity of metals

In summary, the conversation discusses testing knowledge about different metals, particularly their electrical and thermal conductivity and magnetic properties. Cast iron is expected to have poor electrical and thermal conductivity, while 304 stainless steel is also expected to have poor thermal conductivity. Most ferrous metals, including mild steel and cast iron, are expected to be attracted to a magnet.
learnphysics10
I would like to test myself on how well I know my information about certain metals, some of them get me a bit puzzled.

How would you rate the electrical conductivity of cast iron?
Poor, good, excellent or best?

Also the thermal conductivity of 304 stainless steel?
Poor, good, excellent or best?

I know that most ferrous metals are magnetic, right? The metals and alloys, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, alpha brass, mild steel, copper, phosphor bronze, tool steel, HSLA steel, zinc, lead, magnesium. Which ones would you expect to be attracted to a magnet?

My thought is mild steel and cast iron, any that I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would rate the electrical conductivity of cast iron and the thermal conductivity of 304 stainless to both be rather poor, at least for metals, and I would expect all of the steels listed plus cast iron (with the exception of stainless) to be attracted to a magnet.

1. What causes metals to be magnetic?

Metals are magnetic because of their atomic structure. The electrons in metals are free to move and create a magnetic field, which gives metals their magnetic properties.

2. How does the electrical conductivity of metals differ from other materials?

Metals have a high electrical conductivity because of the same free-moving electrons that cause their magnetism. These electrons are able to carry electric current easily through the material.

3. What factors affect the thermal conductivity of metals?

The thermal conductivity of metals is affected by several factors, including the type of metal, its purity, and its temperature. Generally, metals with a higher atomic weight and lower melting point have higher thermal conductivity.

4. Are there any metals that are not magnetic?

Yes, there are several metals that are not magnetic, such as copper, silver, gold, and aluminum. These metals have a different atomic structure than magnetic metals, and their electrons are not free to move and create a magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic properties of metals be changed?

Yes, the magnetic properties of metals can be changed through various processes, such as heating, cooling, and exposure to strong magnetic fields. This can alter the arrangement of the electrons and affect the strength of the material's magnetic field.