Which ferrous metals are magnetic and how to rate their conductivity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
learnphysics10
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I would like to test myself on how well I know my information about certain metals, some of them get me a bit puzzled.

How would you rate the electrical conductivity of cast iron?
Poor, good, excellent or best?

Also the thermal conductivity of 304 stainless steel?
Poor, good, excellent or best?

I know that most ferrous metals are magnetic, right? The metals and alloys, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, alpha brass, mild steel, copper, phosphor bronze, tool steel, HSLA steel, zinc, lead, magnesium. Which ones would you expect to be attracted to a magnet?

My thought is mild steel and cast iron, any that I missed?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would rate the electrical conductivity of cast iron and the thermal conductivity of 304 stainless to both be rather poor, at least for metals, and I would expect all of the steels listed plus cast iron (with the exception of stainless) to be attracted to a magnet.