Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnetization above Curie Temperature

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm preparing a talk about Curie Temperature, and looking for some Ms(T) graphs in the web I've found some of them in which the magnetization is not zero when T > Tc, (the dramatic change is obversable, so it is the Tc). But for T > Tc I expect complete disorder and no domains, then Ms=0. Is there any reason for having Ms (T>Tc) >0?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2
    It might help if you bothered to tell us what "Ms" is. But in case you are asking this: The magnetization of a paramagnetic substance is usually not zero if you apply an external magnetic field. Moreover, even in the absence of an external magnetic field and the existence of a critical temperature magnetization, domains are expected above but close to the critical temperature.
    What I am saying here is of course a complete shot in the dark since I find your post a bit non-saying. But perhaps it still helps you.

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    Thanks Timo. And sorry for making you guess. I've been seeing so many graphs lately that I didn't realize I wasn't explaining what symbols meant. Ms, as you correctly guessed, is magnetization of saturation, anf Tc the Curie Temperature. (I was thinking more on ferromagnets).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook