Magnetization above Curie Temperature

In summary, the speaker is preparing a talk about Curie Temperature and noticed that in some graphs, the magnetization is not zero when T > Tc. They are wondering why this is the case and if there is a reason for having magnetization above the critical temperature. They also mention that the concept of Ms and Tc are related to ferromagnets.
jglezag
Hi all,
I'm preparing a talk about Curie Temperature, and looking for some Ms(T) graphs in the web I've found some of them in which the magnetization is not zero when T > Tc, (the dramatic change is obversable, so it is the Tc). But for T > Tc I expect complete disorder and no domains, then Ms=0. Is there any reason for having Ms (T>Tc) >0?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might help if you bothered to tell us what "Ms" is. But in case you are asking this: The magnetization of a paramagnetic substance is usually not zero if you apply an external magnetic field. Moreover, even in the absence of an external magnetic field and the existence of a critical temperature magnetization, domains are expected above but close to the critical temperature.
What I am saying here is of course a complete shot in the dark since I find your post a bit non-saying. But perhaps it still helps you.

Thanks Timo. And sorry for making you guess. I've been seeing so many graphs lately that I didn't realize I wasn't explaining what symbols meant. Ms, as you correctly guessed, is magnetization of saturation, anf Tc the Curie Temperature. (I was thinking more on ferromagnets).

1. What is magnetization above the Curie temperature?

Magnetization above the Curie temperature refers to the phenomenon in which a material loses its magnetic properties when it is heated above its Curie temperature. This temperature is specific to each material and marks the point at which the material transitions from a ferromagnetic to a paramagnetic state.

2. How does the magnetization above the Curie temperature occur?

This phenomenon occurs due to the alignment of magnetic moments within the material. When the material is heated above its Curie temperature, the thermal energy disrupts the alignment of these magnetic moments, causing the material to lose its overall magnetization.

3. What are the practical implications of magnetization above the Curie temperature?

Magnetization above the Curie temperature has practical implications in various industries, such as electronics and magnetic storage. The loss of magnetic properties can affect the performance of electronic devices and can also lead to data loss in magnetic storage devices.

4. Can the Curie temperature be manipulated?

The Curie temperature is a physical property of a material and cannot be manipulated. However, by altering the composition or structure of a material, its Curie temperature can be changed. This is often done in the production of magnets with specific properties.

5. Is magnetization above the Curie temperature reversible?

In most cases, the loss of magnetization above the Curie temperature is irreversible. This is because the thermal energy causes a permanent disruption in the alignment of magnetic moments within the material. However, in some cases, the magnetization can be restored by cooling the material back to below its Curie temperature, allowing the magnetic moments to realign.