Magnetostatic field calculations

In summary: I fixed it up & also solved for the field.In summary, Homework Equations involve Gauss' law and Ampere's law. However, Biot-Savart law can be used if you have already covered the field of a complete circular loop of wire.
Roodles01

Homework Statement

Current, I, flows around symmetrical loop of thin wire.
The loop comprises 2 halves (semicircle & triangle). Distance from vertex of triangle equals radius, a, of the semicircle.
Find the mag' field at axis of loop (where axes coss)

Homework Equations

Could I use Gauss' law ∫s E.dS= 1/εov ρ(r) dv
Amperes law ∫c B . dl
Or is this just as easy to do wit Biot-Savart Law δB(r) = . . . . . . . . .

I have a good feeling that I can use symmetry to simplify this without getting too bogged down in maths.

Which of these are the ones I could use most?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss' law involves electric field rather than magnetic field. So, punt on that one.

I'm having some difficulty visualizing the loop. But, it appears to me that there is not enough symmetry to use Ampere's law. Ampere's law is useful if you can construct an imaginary closed path that:
(1) passes through the point where you are trying to find the field
(2) B[itex]\cdot[/itex]dl has a simple form for the path.
I don't think you can find a path that meets both these criteria.

So, you're left with Biot-Savart. However, if you've already covered the field of a complete circular loop of wire, then you can use that as a shortcut to get the field from the semicircular part of your loop. Also, if you've already covered the field of a finite, straight section of current, then you can use that result along with superposition to get the field from the straight sides of the triangle.

Hmmm! Have tried the problem & have a solution if someone would review it.

Thank you

Split composite loop into 2 parts (one semicicular one of 2 sides of a square)

For semicircle:
B = (μ0*I)/(4*∏*R2) ∫ dL where R = a
= (μ0*I)/(4*∏*R2) 2*∏*R2
= (μ0*I)/(2*R)

For 2 side of a square:
B = (2*μ0*I)/(4*∏*r) (sinθ1 - sinθ2) where r = 0.707*a & θ1=-θ2=/4
= (2*μ0*I)/(4*∏*r) (sin(∏/4) - sin(∏/4))
= (2*μ0*I)/(4*∏*r) (√2/2 + √2/2)
= √2 ((μ0*I)/(4*∏*0.707a))

so Btotal = (μ0*I)/(2*R) + √2 ((μ0*I)/(4*∏*0.707a))

I feel that there's something I haven't done, or missed something or . . . . . . .

Roodles01 said:
Hmmm! Have tried the problem & have a solution if someone would review it.

Thank you

Split composite loop into 2 parts (one semicicular one of 2 sides of a square)

For semicircle:
B = (μ0*I)/(4*∏*R2) ∫ dL where R = a
= (μ0*I)/(4*∏*R2) 2*∏*R2

I believe the square on the R at the very end is just a typo. But ∫ dL should be the arc length of the semicircle, not a full circle.

For 2 side of a square:
B = (2*μ0*I)/(4*∏*r) (sinθ1 - sinθ2) where r = 0.707*a & θ1=-θ2=/4
= (2*μ0*I)/(4*∏*r) (sin(∏/4) - sin(∏/4))
= (2*μ0*I)/(4*∏*r) (√2/2 + √2/2)
= √2 ((μ0*I)/(4*∏*0.707a))

Look's good except I think you dropped a factor of 2 in going from the next-to-last to the last equation. Also, it will simplify nicely if you write the factor of .707 in the denominator as √2/2.

Thanks for the read through &comment.

Last edited:

1. What is a magnetostatic field?

A magnetostatic field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created by stationary electric charges or steady currents. It is responsible for the force of attraction or repulsion between magnets and is a key component in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials.

2. How are magnetostatic fields calculated?

Magnetostatic fields can be calculated using the laws of magnetostatics, specifically the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field at a point to the current flowing through a nearby wire. Additionally, computer software and numerical methods can be used to solve more complex magnetostatic problems.

3. What are some real-world applications of magnetostatic field calculations?

Magnetostatic field calculations are used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing magnetic sensors and motors, studying the Earth's magnetic field, and creating magnetic levitation systems. They are also essential in the field of medical imaging, particularly in the development of MRI machines.

4. How do magnetostatic fields differ from electromagnetic fields?

Magnetostatic fields and electromagnetic fields are related, but differ in the fact that magnetostatic fields are produced by steady currents, while electromagnetic fields are created by changing electric fields. Magnetostatic fields do not have a time-varying component, unlike electromagnetic fields which have both electric and magnetic components that can vary over time.

5. Can magnetostatic fields be shielded or manipulated?

Yes, magnetostatic fields can be manipulated and shielded using various materials and techniques. For example, magnetic materials can be used to redirect or distort the field, while conductive materials can be used to shield against magnetic interference. Additionally, electromagnets can be used to create and control magnetostatic fields in specific areas.