1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnets and their polarity - what would happen if

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    If I were to take 2 neodymium magnets, and lay one down on the table, and stand the other on its end on top of it (resembling an upside-down T), would they attract, repel, or be neutral? Two poles of the standing magnet against the single pole that is facing up... what would the outcome be?

I would experiment myself and just buy two magnets, but this discussion will determine precisely what size magnets I buy, as my purpose has limited space, and I don't have weeks to wait for potentially wrong magnets to ship.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can work this out for yourself, I think. Where will the N pole of the upright magnet be pulled and where will the S pole be pulled? That tells you what will happen to each pole. Where will that take you in deciding what happens to that magnet, finally?

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    Rudimentary physics is not my strong suit at the end of the day... or at the start, for that matter.

If the flat magnet's pole is S, does that mean it will try and repel the S of the upright and attract the N, thus flipping it N side down and connecting the two?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a very simple answer, I just lack the mental capacity to get there at this moment...

5. Sep 19, 2013 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

N to S and S to N. As you say.
    But it would be better fun to buy two magnets. You can do the magnet-under-the-table /seance trick and amaze all your friends.

6. Sep 19, 2013 #5
    Thanks for walking me through that one, I just needed to be sure.

Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook