Magnets and their polarity - what would happen if

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Stoph
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnets Polarity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Stoph
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
If I were to take 2 neodymium magnets, and lay one down on the table, and stand the other on its end on top of it (resembling an upside-down T), would they attract, repel, or be neutral? Two poles of the standing magnet against the single pole that is facing up... what would the outcome be?

I would experiment myself and just buy two magnets, but this discussion will determine precisely what size magnets I buy, as my purpose has limited space, and I don't have weeks to wait for potentially wrong magnets to ship.

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can work this out for yourself, I think. Where will the N pole of the upright magnet be pulled and where will the S pole be pulled? That tells you what will happen to each pole. Where will that take you in deciding what happens to that magnet, finally?
 
Rudimentary physics is not my strong suit at the end of the day... or at the start, for that matter.

If the flat magnet's pole is S, does that mean it will try and repel the S of the upright and attract the N, thus flipping it N side down and connecting the two?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a very simple answer, I just lack the mental capacity to get there at this moment...
 
N to S and S to N. As you say.
But it would be better fun to buy two magnets. You can do the magnet-under-the-table /seance trick and amaze all your friends.
 
Thanks for walking me through that one, I just needed to be sure.

Cheers!