1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnification due to a Diverging Lens

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The focal length of the diverging lens is 74 cm. If an object with height h = 0.6 cm is located at d = 37 cm, what is the height of the image?

2. Relevant equations

Thin-Lens Equation:

(1/do)+(1/di)=1/f

Magnification Equation:

m=-di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that first I need to find the distance of the image, di. To do this I took: 1/[(1/74cm)-(1/37cm)]. From this I got -74cm.

Next, I plugged this value into the Magnification equation: -(-74cm)/(37cm). From this I recieved a value of 2. Therefore the image should be 1.2 cm tall. When I entered this answer it was incorrect. I also know this is incorrect because images from a convex lens must be upright, reduced in size, and virtual.

Can anyone help me out on where I am going wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This isn't right. What's the sign of f for a diverging lens?

4. Apr 1, 2010 #3
    Is it negative since it is to the left of the lens?

5. Apr 1, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Yes.

6. Apr 1, 2010 #5
    Alright, so I redid the problem with a negative focal length and got a height of .4cm.

7. Apr 1, 2010 #6

Doc Al

What did you get for do? (Show how you got it.)

8. Apr 1, 2010 #7
    So, I redid my equation: 1/[(1/-74cm)-(1/37cm)]. This gave me: -24.667. Then I redid my magnification equation: -(-24.667)/(37). This gave me .667 for my magnification. Then when multiplied by the height i got .4 cm.

9. Apr 1, 2010 #8

Doc Al

Actually, that's correct. (For some reason, I thought you meant it was wrong.)

10. Apr 1, 2010 #9
    yay! thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook