Magnitude 6.5 Quake - Indonesia

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, a magnitude-6.5 earthquake struck off the coast of Java in Indonesia, resulting in one death and damage to buildings. The epicentre was located southwest of Tasikmalaya at a depth of 92 kilometres. Dave mentions the tectonic activity of the region and the recent volcanic activity on Bali, but still encourages Greg to take his chances and have fun on his planned trip next year.
StevieTNZ
A magnitude-6.5 earthquake has struck off the coast of Java in Indonesia, the United States Geological Survey says, with authorities reporting at least one death and damage to buildings.

The USGS said the epicentre of the Saturday morning quake was located at a depth of 92 kilometres, about 52km south-west of Tasikmalaya.

-- https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/99920962/magnitude65-earthquake-hits-off-the-coast-of-java

I am sure Dave will have a recording of this quake on his instruments

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
StevieTNZ said:
I am sure Dave will have a recording of this quake on his instruments
Indeed

raw off the recorder, The smaller event was a M 5.3 in the Tonga region ...

upload_2017-12-17_12-32-32.png

171215  UT M 6.5 Java.JPG

Dave

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-17_12-32-32.png
    upload_2017-12-17_12-32-32.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 171215  UT M 6.5 Java.JPG
    171215 UT M 6.5 Java.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 669
I'm not digging all this activity in Indonesia. I have a trip planned next year :eek:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm not digging all this activity in Indonesia. I have a trip planned next year :eek:

Hey Greg

It's just one of those places in the world that is tectonically very active.
I don't know if you are aware of the volcanic activity on Bali in recent weeks that grounded airline flights for a number of daystake your chances and have fun :)

Dave

1. What is the cause of the magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia?

The magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia was caused by tectonic plate movement along the Palu-Koro fault, which runs through the island of Sulawesi. This region is known for its frequent seismic activity due to the complex geological processes at work.

2. How does the magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia compare to other recent earthquakes?

The magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia is considered a strong earthquake, but it is not uncommon for the region. In comparison, the magnitude 9.1 quake that struck off the coast of Sumatra in 2004 was significantly stronger and caused widespread devastation.

3. Have there been any aftershocks following the magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia?

Yes, there have been several aftershocks following the initial magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia. Aftershocks are common after a strong earthquake and can sometimes be as strong as the initial quake. It is important for residents in the affected area to remain cautious and prepared for potential aftershocks.

4. What effects did the magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia have on the surrounding area?

The magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia caused significant damage to buildings and infrastructure in the surrounding areas. It also triggered landslides and liquefaction, which can cause buildings to sink into the ground. The quake also caused a tsunami warning to be issued, but it was later lifted.

5. Is there any way to predict or prevent earthquakes like the magnitude 6.5 quake in Indonesia?

Currently, there is no way to accurately predict when or where an earthquake will occur. However, scientists continue to study seismic activity in order to better understand and prepare for future earthquakes. Building codes and disaster preparedness plans can also help mitigate the effects of earthquakes, but preventing them entirely is not currently possible.