Magnitude and Direction of induced voltage

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
rzn972
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hey everyone I have a physics e&m question: [/B]
http://blob:https%3A//www.physicsforums.com/aa779f37-be23-43d7-a888-d70263a3854b
upload_2016-5-3_1-7-6.png


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



upload_2016-5-3_1-7-31.png

I took the derivative to find the magnitude of the induced voltage. (do I need to add a constant c?)
I am having trouble with the direction of the current flow though... Do I use the right hand rule?

Thanks![/B]
 
Attachments
  • upload_2016-5-3_1-7-3.png
    upload_2016-5-3_1-7-3.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 843
  • 13149919_10208146647058279_1036032380_n.jpg
    13149919_10208146647058279_1036032380_n.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
rzn972 said:
I took the derivative to find the magnitude of the induced voltage. (do I need to add a constant c?)
I am having trouble with the direction of the current flow though... Do I use the right hand rule?
The constant "c" is usually either the speed of light in a vacuum or the constant of integration ... do either of these situation apply here?
The current flow is determined by the right hand rule in conjunction with a law of physics that applies to induced currents.
I'm puzzled you started at (c) ... did you do (a) and (b)?
 
4 a) Does the question ask for the magnetic (flux) ?

Oh, it should read the magnitude, not magnetic!

Shouldn't you use Faraday's law?
 
There might be a small gap in the lower right-hand part of the loop
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Simon Bridge
Sorry! Yeah I meant magnitude.
 
Last edited:
Okay so the derivative of magnetic flux is the induced voltage. I am having trouble calculating flux. Flux = BA cos (theta). How do I get the area...?
 
Ahh I forgot that they gave us the length of the square. I think I was able to get it.
13149837_10208152309959848_930633277_n_zpsdro9gsiq.jpg

Does this look right?
 
in (c) and (d) the flux density is different in different parts of the square, how did you account for this?
(hint: the variable y should not be in your answer)
in (b) the question asks for the direction of the current
 
For b) I say it is counterclockwise. My reasoning is that the field is decreasing as time passes (e^(-t)). The field will want to come out and the way to do that is for the induced current to flow counterclockwise.

I am not clear on c). Doesn't the y variable account for the different flux values for different y values?