Magnitude and direction of the force on the electron

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
collegekid420
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electron is moving in a quadratic potential of the form V(x)=k(x-x0)^2, where k=10V/m^2 and x0=5m. x is positive to the right and negative to the left. Find the Following

A. Find the magnitude and direction of the force on the electron at x = 0m

B. Find the magnitude and direction of the force on the electron at x = 5m

C. Find the magnitude and direction of the force on the electron at x = 10m


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution



My attempt was to plug in k and x into the equation V(x) = k(x-x)^2 but I am not getting the right answers, where am I going wrong? Do I need to use the equation F=k(q1q2)/d^2?
 
Physics news on Phys.org