1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Magnitude and direction of the total force on the wire

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A stiff wire 50 cm (0.5 m) long is bent at a right angle in the middle. One section loes along the z axis and the other is along the line y=2x in the xy plane. A current of 20A flows in the wire -down the z-axis and out the line in the xy plane. The wire passes through a uniform magnetic field given by B=(0.318i)T determine the magnitude and direction of the total force on the wire.

2. Relevant equations
    F = I l B sin(theta)
    F = I lxB

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving the problem by finding the force on each section and adding them.

Along the z-axis the angle with the mag field would be 90, so I get the force to be 1.59N

In the xy-plane, the section lies on the line y=2x. So it makes a 27 degree angle with the mag field. So I get the force to be 0.72N.

After adding them I get the force F = 1.59 + 0.72 = 2.31N

Now I have an answer key that says the force F=2.13N and lies 41.8 degrees below negative y-axis.

How do I get these results? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2
    Re: Electromagnetism

Well, you're dealing with forces - i.e. vectors. Vector addition isn't quite as simple as you've made it..

Ah, and one other thing - I don't quite agree with you on your angle!

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

Sorry, it was a 63 degree angle I had.

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4

sorry, can anyone walk me through this problem or hint at some steps i need to do this. why cant i simply use the equation f= I l b sin(theta) using the angles i found the wire to be.

Is when the mag field is given as B=(.318i)T mean that it is only in the x direction? Thats what i am thinking but im confusing myself now. Thanks guys!

6. Mar 16, 2009 #5

ok, i solved this, thanks!

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6

I have a similar method. I tried it the exact way that you tried. Did you use any other equations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook