Magnitude in a rectangular loop

In summary, the rectangular loop with a mass of .15 g per centimeter of length and pivoted about side ab on a frictionless axis, with a current of 8.2 A, can be manipulated by a magnetic field parallel to the y-axis to swing up to an angle of 30 degrees with the yz plane. The equation for torque is IBAsin(phi), where I is the current, B is the magnetic field magnitude, A is the area of the loop (.48m^2), and phi is the angle between the magnetic field and the area vector. The right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field, and the mass of the loop plays a role in the opposing gravitational torque that keeps
ervillalobos

Homework Statement

The rectangular loop has a mass of .15 g per centimeter of length and is pivoted about side ab on a frictionless axis. The current in the wire is 8.2 A in the direction shown. Find the maggnitude and direction of the magnetic field parallel to the y-axis that will cause the loop to swing up until it's plane makes an angle of 30 degrees with the yz plane.

Homework Equations

torque=IBAsin(phi)
I=current
B= Magnitude
30 degrees
A= area (8cm*6cm)=48cm^2 => .48m^2

The Attempt at a Solution

using the right hand rule i know the direction is in the + y-direction.
with the equation i have, i don't how to fit the mass of the loop. so then i was trying to find the force but lack enough information from the problem. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
side ab is on the z-axis

NEED SERIOUS HELP!
ervillalobos said:

Homework Statement

The rectangular loop has a mass of .15 g per centimeter of length and is pivoted about side ab on a frictionless axis. The current in the wire is 8.2 A in the direction shown. Find the maggnitude and direction of the magnetic field parallel to the y-axis that will cause the loop to swing up until it's plane makes an angle of 30 degrees with the yz plane.

Homework Equations

torque=IBAsin(phi)
I=current
B= Magnitude
30 degrees

with the equation i have, i don't how to fit the mass of the loop. so then i was trying to find the force but lack enough information from the problem. please help!

side ab lies on the z axis

how can i use mass in this problem?

ervillalobos said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

torque=IBAsin(phi)
I=current
B= Magnitude
30 degrees

The mass of the loop comes in as part of the gravitational force acting on the loop. While the magnetic field is responsible for the torque in one direction, gravity provides an opposing torque that keeps the loop in equilibrium.

1. What is magnitude in a rectangular loop?

The magnitude in a rectangular loop refers to the strength or intensity of the magnetic field created by the loop. It is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) and is dependent on factors such as the number of turns in the loop and the current flowing through it.

2. How is the magnitude calculated for a rectangular loop?

The magnitude of a rectangular loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀NI/l, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the loop, I is the current flowing through the loop, and l is the length of the loop.

3. What is the relationship between the magnitude and the size of a rectangular loop?

The magnitude of the magnetic field created by a rectangular loop is directly proportional to the size of the loop. This means that as the size of the loop increases, the magnitude of the magnetic field also increases.

4. How does the direction of current affect the magnitude in a rectangular loop?

The direction of current flowing through a rectangular loop has a significant impact on the magnitude of the magnetic field it produces. If the current flows in the same direction as the magnetic field lines, the magnitude will be at its maximum. However, if the current flows in the opposite direction, the magnitude will be reduced.

5. Can the magnitude in a rectangular loop be changed?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field in a rectangular loop can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the number of turns, current, and loop size. Additionally, the magnitude can also be changed by introducing materials with different permeability or by changing the distance between the loop and other magnetic fields.