Astrophysics: Magnitude of sun when Jupiter crosses over it.

In summary, the observer, located 5pc away from the sun, cannot resolve either the sun or Jupiter, but notices a slight dimming of the star when Jupiter passes in front of it. To find the magnitude of the sun with and without Jupiter in front of it, the magnitude formula is used, where m_1-m_2=2.5log\left( \frac{\Phi_1}{\Phi_2} \right). The absolute magnitude of the sun is given as 4.77. When Jupiter is not crossing over, the magnitude is found to be 3.26. To find the magnitude when Jupiter is crossing the sun, the area of the visible solar disk is needed. This can be found
Xyius

Homework Statement

An observer 5pc away observes the sun in the plane of Jupiter orbit. He cannot resolve either object but he notices a slight dimming of the star when Jupiter passes across the sun in his vision. Find the magnitude of the sun with and without Jupiter in front of it.

Homework Equations

Magnitude formula
[tex]m_1-m_2=2.5log\left( \frac{\Phi_1}{\Phi_2} \right)[/tex] (Where Phi is the flux)
I do not know if this is the only equation or not.
Absolute Magnitude of Sun = 4.77

The Attempt at a Solution

So the case when Jupiter is NOT crossing over seems simple enough.

[tex]m_1-m_2=2.5log\left( \frac{\Phi_1}{\Phi_2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]=m-M=2.5log\left( \frac{d^2}{10^2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]=m-4.77=2.5log\left( \frac{5^2}{10^2} \right), m=3.26[/tex]

So now I just need to find the magnitude when Jupiter is crossing the sun. My professor said to find the area of the solar disk that is visible when Jupiter is crossing by simply doing..
[tex]\pi (R_{sun}^2-R_{Jupiter}^2)[/tex]
But I do not know where this fits into the above equation. How can I relate this to the flux ratio? Any help would be appreciated :]

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the definition of flux: [itex]\Phi[/itex]. How is flux related to area of the source?

How does Jupiter passing in front of the sun affect the effective area of the light source (ie the sun).

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Start with the definition of flux: [itex]\Phi[/itex]. How is flux related to area of the source?

How does Jupiter passing in front of the sun affect the effective area of the light source (ie the sun).

AM

Okay so Flux is..

[tex]\Phi=\frac{L}{4\pi d^2}[/tex] Where d is the distance from the star to the observer.

I guess the only thing that changes here would be the Luminosity. Luminosity is defined to be..

[tex]L=4\pi R^2 \sigma T^4[/tex] Where R is the radius of the star.

So would this be on the right track? My concern is this isn't a "disk" as my professor hinted towards. :\

Xyius said:
Okay so Flux is..

[tex]\Phi=\frac{L}{4\pi d^2}[/tex] Where d is the distance from the star to the observer.

I guess the only thing that changes here would be the Luminosity. Luminosity is defined to be..

[tex]L=4\pi R^2 \sigma T^4[/tex] Where R is the radius of the star.

So would this be on the right track? My concern is this isn't a "disk" as my professor hinted towards. :\
It may not be a disk. But a sphere's cross-sectional area is what one sees from a distance. How is the viewable cross sectional area of the sun affected when Jupiter passes in front of it? When does the effect reach a maximum?

AM

As an astrophysicist, I can provide some insight into this problem. First, we need to understand the concept of magnitude in astronomy. Magnitude is a measure of the brightness of an object, with lower numbers indicating brighter objects. The magnitude formula you have provided is correct and can be used to calculate the magnitude of the sun in both cases.

When Jupiter is not crossing over the sun, the observer is seeing the combined light of both the sun and Jupiter. Using the magnitude formula, we can calculate the magnitude of the sun as 3.26. However, when Jupiter is crossing over the sun, it blocks some of the sun's light, causing a decrease in brightness. This decrease in brightness can be quantified by calculating the ratio of the flux (or amount of light) from the sun with and without Jupiter in front of it.

To calculate this flux ratio, we can use the area of the solar disk visible when Jupiter is crossing over the sun. As your professor mentioned, this can be calculated using the formula \pi (R_{sun}^2-R_{Jupiter}^2). This represents the area of the sun's surface that is being blocked by Jupiter. We can then use this area to calculate the flux ratio using the formula \frac{\Phi_{sun}-\Phi_{Jupiter}}{\Phi_{sun}}, where \Phi_{sun} is the flux from the sun and \Phi_{Jupiter} is the flux from Jupiter.

Once we have the flux ratio, we can plug it into the magnitude formula to calculate the magnitude of the sun when Jupiter is crossing over it. This will give us the magnitude of the sun with Jupiter in front of it. Subtracting this value from the magnitude of the sun without Jupiter will give us the dimming or change in magnitude caused by Jupiter crossing over the sun.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and how to approach it. Keep in mind that in astrophysics, we often use complex equations and calculations to understand and study the universe. Don't get discouraged if it takes some time to understand and apply them. Keep practicing and asking questions, and you will get the hang of it.

Related to Astrophysics: Magnitude of sun when Jupiter crosses over it.

1. What is the magnitude of the sun when Jupiter crosses over it?

The magnitude of the sun when Jupiter crosses over it is about -26.7. This means that the sun appears very bright in the sky, as the lower the magnitude value, the brighter the object appears.

2. How often does Jupiter cross over the sun?

Jupiter crosses over the sun about once every 399 Earth days, or approximately every 13 months. This is due to Jupiter's orbital period around the sun, which is about 11.86 Earth years.

3. Does the magnitude of the sun change when Jupiter crosses over it?

Yes, the magnitude of the sun does change when Jupiter crosses over it. This is because Jupiter's large size and close proximity to Earth causes it to appear larger and brighter in the sky, which affects the overall brightness of the sun.

4. How does the magnitude of the sun during Jupiter's transit affect Earth's temperature?

The magnitude of the sun during Jupiter's transit does not have a significant impact on Earth's temperature. The sun's overall brightness and temperature are determined by its intrinsic properties, such as its size and nuclear reactions, rather than the presence of other planets passing in front of it.

5. Is the magnitude of the sun during Jupiter's transit important for astrophysics research?

Yes, the magnitude of the sun during Jupiter's transit can be important for certain astrophysics research. For example, scientists may use this information to better understand the brightness and behavior of stars, as well as to study the effects of planetary transits on their observations.