Magnitude of a Point Charge on a Line

In summary, the problem involves two point charges, +q1 and q2, on the same straight line with a spot labeled P at the same distance (d) from both charges. The net electric field at P is twice the magnitude when only q1 is present. Using the principle of superposition, the net electric field at P can be calculated by adding the electric field vectors from each charge. To determine the magnitude of q2, the distance (r) from q2 to P must be expressed in terms of d.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

The drawing shows a positive point charge +q1, a second point charge q2 that may be positive or negative, and a spot labeled P, all on the same straight line.
The distance d between the two charges is the same as the distance between q1 and the spot P.
With q2 present, the magnitude of the net electric field at P is twice what it is when q1 is present alone.
Given that q1 = +1.19 µC, determine the magnitude |q2| when q2 is positive. Determine the magnitude |q2| when q2 is negative.

qu48.gif

Homework Equations

Actually my problem is I don't know which equation I'm supposed to use. All I know is that E = kq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried making an equation, given that the net field at P is twice what q1 is alone. So I would then have something like:
2(kq/r2) = kqQ/2r2
I'm not sure if that's right though. I would just get 4 as an answer. And then I have no idea what to do about -q2...

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic concept in this problem is the principle of superposition. The net electric field vector at point P when both charges are present is the sum of the electric field vectors from each charge.

##\vec{E}_{net} = \vec{E}_1 + \vec{E}_2##.

You will need to think about the directions of the vectors and how to express the distance ##r## for each charge in terms of the distance ##d## given in the figure.

What is the magnitude of a point charge on a line?

The magnitude of a point charge on a line refers to the strength or intensity of an electric field created by a single point charge located on a one-dimensional line.

How is the magnitude of a point charge on a line calculated?

The magnitude of a point charge on a line can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the magnitude of a point charge on a line?

The magnitude of a point charge on a line is affected by the distance between the charge and the point of measurement, as well as the magnitude of the charge itself. The type of material surrounding the charge can also have an impact.

What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of a point charge on a line?

The magnitude of a point charge on a line is typically measured in Coulombs (C), the SI unit of electric charge. It can also be expressed in terms of other units, such as statcoulombs (statC) or millicoulombs (mC).

How does the magnitude of a point charge on a line affect other charges in its vicinity?

The magnitude of a point charge on a line determines the strength of the electric field it creates, which in turn affects the behavior of other charges in its vicinity. Charges with the same sign as the point charge will experience a repulsive force, while charges with the opposite sign will experience an attractive force.