• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Magnitude of Displacement for Harmonic Oscillator

• Thread starter Dortega120
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A harmonic oscillator has angular frequency ω and amplitude A. What is the magnitude of the displacement when the elastic potential energy is equal to the kinetic energy? (Assume that U = 0 at equilibrium.)

Express your answer in terms of the variables ω and A.

Homework Equations

Potential Energy: U=(1/2)kx^2

Kinetic Energy: K= (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I dont really understand the question. What I was thinking had to be done at first was to set the PE formula equal to the KE formula, and then solve for x, which is the displacement.

Answers and Replies

ehild
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A harmonic oscillator has angular frequency ω and amplitude A. What is the magnitude of the displacement when the elastic potential energy is equal to the kinetic energy? (Assume that U = 0 at equilibrium.)

Express your answer in terms of the variables ω and A.

Homework Equations

Potential Energy: U=(1/2)kx^2

Kinetic Energy: K= (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I dont really understand the question. What I was thinking had to be done at first was to set the PE formula equal to the KE formula, and then solve for x, which is the displacement.
That is right, set PE equal to KE and solve for x, in terms of the data given: angular frequency ω and amplitude A. But you need to know how the displacement and the velocity are related. Both are function of time What are these functions?

ehild