Magnitude of electric field at a point

In summary: You should draw a small triangle from the top charge to the point P. The angle theta is the one you want. Then use the above equations to get an idea of how to get the sides of the triangle, and what should be positive and negative.You should draw a small triangle from the top charge to the point P. The angle theta is the one you want. Then use the above equations to get an idea of how to get the sides of the triangle, and what should be positive and negative.Okay, let's see if I can do this:I drew a triangle from the top charge to point P, with the x axis going to the right and the y axis going up. The angle theta would be the one
roam

Homework Statement

If Q = 80 nC, a = 3.0 m, and b = 4.0 m in the figure, what is the magnitude of the electric field at point P?

[PLAIN]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/72660756.gif

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{E}=k_e \frac{q}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnitude of the electric field at P due to the first charge is:

[tex]E_1 = (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(2 \times 80) \times 10^{-9}}{(4^2+3^2)}=56.96[/tex]

due to the second charge it's:

[tex]E_2 = (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(-80) \times 10^{-9}}{(4^2)} = - 44.5[/tex]

And due to charge 3:

[tex]E_3 = (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(2 \times 80) \times 10^{-9}}{(4^2+3^2)}=56.96[/tex]

The total magnitude of the electric field at P would be: [tex]56.96-44.5+56.96 = 69.3[/tex]

But the correct answer is 47 N/C. Could anyone please show me what is wrong with my calculations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You must treat electric field as a vector! Draw the electric field vectors of each charge and with a little bit of trigonometry it should be no problem.

roam said:
[tex]\vec{E}=k_e \frac{q}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnitude of the electric field at P due to the first charge is:

[tex]E_1 = (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(2 \times 80) \times 10^{-9}}{(4^2+3^2)}=56.96[/tex]

due to the second charge it's:

[tex]E_2 = (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(-80) \times 10^{-9}}{(4^2)} = - 44.5[/tex]

And due to charge 3:

[tex]E_3 = (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(2 \times 80) \times 10^{-9}}{(4^2+3^2)}=56.96[/tex]

The total magnitude of the electric field at P would be: [tex]56.96-44.5+56.96 = 69.3[/tex]

But the correct answer is 47 N/C. Could anyone please show me what is wrong with my calculations?
Hello roam,

You need to treat the individual electric field contributions as vectors. Note the unit vector [itex] \hat r [/itex] in your

[tex]
\vec{E}=k_e \frac{q}{r^2}\hat{r}
[/tex]

equation. This unit vector is different for each charge you consider. It has both x and y components.

Express each electric field vector in terms of its x and y components, and then add them together. :wink:

Hi Collinsmark

I tried that, it didn't work:

[tex]\vec{E_1}=56.96 cos (90) \hat{i}+ 56.96 sin (90) \hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]= 56.96 \hat{j}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E_2}=-44.5 cos (0) \hat{i}-44.5 sin (0) \hat{j})[/tex]

[tex]= -44.5 \hat{i}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E_3}=56.96 cos (90) \hat{i}+ 56.96 sin (90) \hat{j}[/tex]

And now adding up to find the components of the net electric field vector::

[tex]E_x= -44.5[/tex]

[tex]E_y= 56.96+56.96=113.92[/tex]

The resultant would be 122.30 which is wrong, the right answer is the single number 47 N/C. So why am I not getting the right answer?

roam said:
Hi Collinsmark

I tried that, it didn't work:

[tex]\vec{E_1}=56.96 cos (90) \hat{i}+ 56.96 sin (90) \hat{j}[/tex]

The direction of [itex] \hat r [/itex] is from the charge, to the test point. So the [itex] \hat r [/itex] direction of the top charge is [itex] \hat r = 4/5 \ \hat \imath - 3/5 \ \hat \jmath [/itex]. I'll let you do the rest.

So [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] is a unit vector directed from the charge toward P. But I'm a little bit confused... where did you get "4/5" and "-3/5" from? I know that 5 is the hypotenuse (line from the top charge to P), but why did you divide them like that? :confused:

roam said:
So [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] is a unit vector directed from the charge toward P. But I'm a little bit confused... where did you get "4/5" and "-3/5" from? I know that 5 is the hypotenuse (line from the top charge to P), but why did you divide them like that? :confused:

Well, putting it somewhat simply, 'sine' is the opposite over hypotenuse. 'Cosine' is the adjacent over hypotenuse. There is a negative sign associated with the [itex] \hat \jmath [/itex] since that component is pointing down.

[tex] \sin \theta = \frac{\mathrm{opposite}}{\mathrm{hypotenuse}} [/tex]

[tex] \cos \theta = \frac{\mathrm{adjacent}}{\mathrm{hypotenuse}} [/tex]

What is the magnitude of electric field at a point?

The magnitude of electric field at a point is a measure of the strength of the electric field at that specific point. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is the magnitude of electric field at a point calculated?

The magnitude of electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a unit charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the unit charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

What factors affect the magnitude of electric field at a point?

The magnitude of electric field at a point is affected by the magnitude and direction of the source charge, as well as the distance between the source charge and the point in question. It is also affected by the medium in which the electric field exists.

Is the magnitude of electric field always constant at a point?

No, the magnitude of electric field at a point can vary depending on the location and the nature of the source charge. It can also change with the presence of other charges in the vicinity.

How is the magnitude of electric field at a point represented graphically?

The magnitude of electric field at a point is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field at various points. The closer the lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field at that point.