Magnitude of electric field using point charges

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 20K views
n77ler
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Magnitude of electric field using point charges

Homework Statement


Two charges, Q1 = 3.15 μC and Q2 = 5.40 μC, are located at points (0, -2.80 cm) and (0, +2.80 cm), What is the magnitude of the electric field at point P, located at (5.45 cm, 0), due to Q1 alone?


lQ2
l
l
l
l--------------P
l
l
l
l
lQ1



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get help, post your attempted solution and point out where you got stuck.
 
I used E=( k lq1l ) / r^2

(8.99x10^9) (3.15x10^-6) / (0.0612m)^2
=7.56x10^6 N/C
 
n77ler said:
I used E=( k lq1l ) / r^2

(8.99x10^9) (3.15x10^-6) / (0.0612m)^2
=7.56x10^6 N/C
Looks good to me.
 
k got it, I think I was putting in 10^-6 by accident :S lol, thanks!
 
Ok so there were two other parts to the question, I had to find the xcomponent and ycomponent of total electric field at P. I solved the one for x and got it correct which means I must be using the right angle and stuff to do my calculations. My answer for y was wrong, why is this?
 
n77ler said:
My answer for y was wrong, why is this?
Beats me. Show what you did.
 
Workings are on attached file...
 
Attachments
  • attemptt.jpg
    attemptt.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,004
Check your signs. Realize that one field points up, while the other points down.
 
opps so there should be subtraction to get my final answer...
So the Q1 diagram needs to be a negative answer...

(-3.44x10^6)+ (5.90x10^6)
=2.46x10^6N/C
Thats still not right tho, I don't know what I am going wrong
 
n77ler said:
opps so there should be subtraction to get my final answer...
So the Q1 diagram needs to be a negative answer...
Q1 is the one on the bottom, right? So where does its field point?
 
Ok, so the Q1 line points in the positive direction while the Q2 points in the negative direction right? I got the right answer but I just want to make sure my reasoning for sign convention is understood.
 
Right. The field from a positive charge always points away from the charge. So the y-component of the Q1 field is + and the Q2 field is -.