Magnitude of force of friction

In summary, the problem involves a 12-g coin sliding upward on a surface inclined at 12° above the horizontal. The coefficients of kinetic and static friction are given as 0.23 and 0.35, respectively. The task is to find the magnitude and direction of the force of friction after the coin comes to rest. The solution should use the coefficient of static friction, as it provides the maximum value of static friction before the object starts to move. A free body diagram should be drawn to help solve the problem. Using mg cos(theta) is incorrect, and the issue may be related to using the wrong units or calculator mode.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

A 12-g coin slides upward on a surface that is inclined at an angle of 12° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the coin and the surface is 0.23; the coefficient of static friction is 0.35. Find the magnitude and direction of the force of friction after it comes to rest.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought the answer would be mg cos [tex]\Theta[/tex] * the coefficient of static friction however that isn't getting me the correct answer.

Help please.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn your free body diagram?

Yes.

Hint: If the coin is moving, should you be using the static coefficient or the kinetic coefficient.

The coin isn't moving in my problem. I am trying to find the magnitude and direction of the force of friction after it comes to rest. So I should be using the static coefficient like I did.

Ah. The force of static friction varies. The coefficient of static friction is used when you want the MAXIMUM value of static friction, ie just before the object starts to move.

As an example: If a block on an incline had a normal force of say 10N and the coefficient of static friction was say 0.5, then max static friction force would be 5N UP the ramp. Now if the angle is small enough to where the force of gravity DOWN the ramp is only say 1N, then just blindly using the static friction would say that the block would be pushed UP the ramp by friction, wouldn't it?

But mg cos(theta) is wrong as well...
Assuming I understood what you said correctly.

I'm assuming its not something silly, like using grams instead of kilograms or having your calculator in radian mode as opposed to degree mode, correct?

Related to Magnitude of force of friction

1. What is the magnitude of force of friction?

The magnitude of force of friction is the amount of resistance or drag that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and sliding against each other.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of force of friction?

The magnitude of force of friction is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

3. How is the magnitude of force of friction calculated?

The magnitude of force of friction can be calculated using the equation F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

4. How does the magnitude of force of friction affect motion?

The magnitude of force of friction opposes motion, so the higher the force of friction, the more difficult it is to move an object. It can also cause objects to slow down or come to a stop.

5. How can the magnitude of force of friction be reduced?

The magnitude of force of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, making surfaces smoother, or reducing the force pressing the surfaces together. It can also be reduced by changing the type of surfaces in contact or by using wheels or rollers to minimize contact between surfaces.