Magnitude of Friction Force Problem

In summary, a car with a mass of 1100 kg is being pulled by a tow truck with a constant force of 1200 N to the north. There is also a friction force pushing the car towards the south. The car starts from rest and is pulled 60 meters north in 25 seconds. The magnitude of the friction force acting on the car is needed to determine the acceleration. The tow truck's mass and friction are relevant and the acceleration without friction would be greater.
._|evo|_.
1. A car with a mass of 1100 kg is being pulled by a tow truck. The tow truck pulls the car to the north with a constant 1200 N force, while a friction force pushes the car towards the south. Starting from rest, the truck pulls the car 60 meters toward the north in 25 seconds.

What is the magnitude of the friction force acting on the car.

2. I'm not sure what equations I should use, I'm really bad at physics, (this is my first year, and it's phy h).

3. I have already drawn my free body diagram. Should I include the car and truck as one object, or tow seperate. -

a = ?
vo= 0
t= 25
x= 60

x=vot + 0.5at^2

Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
._|evo|_. said:
1. A car with a mass of 1100 kg is being pulled by a tow truck. The tow truck pulls the car to the north with a constant 1200 N force, while a friction force pushes the car towards the south. Starting from rest, the truck pulls the car 60 meters toward the north in 25 seconds.
What is the magnitude of the friction force acting on the car.

2. I'm not sure what equations I should use, I'm really bad at physics, (this is my first year, and it's phy h).

3. I have already drawn my free body diagram. Should I include the car and truck as one object, or tow seperate. -

a = ?
vo= 0
t= 25
x= 60

x=vot + 0.5at^2

The diagram isn't a big neccesity here but it will help. The more detailed it better.
Questions 4 u:

Is the tow trucks mass and friction relevant? ( This will answer your second question)

a=? ( you have the right formula) but what acceleration is it in this case?

And most importantly what acceleration would there be if no friction?

Thanks, I got it. I understand.

Thank you.

1. What is the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force is the amount of force that opposes the relative motion or tendency of motion between two surfaces in contact. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is the magnitude of friction force calculated?

The magnitude of friction force can be calculated using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the two surfaces. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials and surface properties of the two surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the coefficient of friction, the normal force between the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces. The roughness, hardness, and temperature of the surfaces can also impact the magnitude of friction force.

4. How does the magnitude of friction force affect motion?

The magnitude of friction force acts in the opposite direction of motion or tendency of motion between two surfaces. It can either slow down or prevent motion, depending on the direction and strength of the applied force. It also affects the amount of energy required for an object to move or maintain its motion.

5. How can the magnitude of friction force be reduced?

The magnitude of friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. It can also be reduced by using smoother or more polished surfaces, or by decreasing the normal force between the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the coefficient of friction by using different materials or surface treatments can also decrease the magnitude of friction force.