Mainstream quantum physics and consciousness

In summary, mainstream quantum physics does not currently have a stance on consciousness as it is not a subject that is studied or discussed in the field. Some physicists, such as Henry Stapp, have written about the topic, but it is not a mainstream concept in the field.
Gary Smith
What does mainstream quantum physics currently say about consciousness?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the result of a PF forum search on the word consciousness. Some of the threads are locked, but others discuss some aspects of mainstream science and consciousness...

https://www.physicsforums.com/search/6716660/?q=consciousness&o=relevance

Likes Evo
berkeman said:
Here's the result of a PF forum search on the word consciousness. Some of the threads are locked, but others discuss some aspects of mainstream science and consciousness...

https://www.physicsforums.com/search/6716660/?q=consciousness&o=relevance

Thank you. When I started to post, up came similar questions. I jumped one link but it was not relevant to my question. I did not consider to do a search on consciousness. Lots of helpful material here.

Likes berkeman
You may want to google the physicist Henry Stapp, he has written on this.

Likes AlexCaledin
Thank you, berkeman and SteveTNZ, for the links. I visited both and found them helpful.

I am looking for ways to test concepts, to be as objective as possible.

Gary Smith said:
What does mainstream quantum physics currently say about consciousness?
Nothing.

Consciousness is not a subject of mainstream quantum physics.

Likes dlgoff, Mentz114, DrClaude and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
Nothing.
And there is nothing more to add. Thread closed.

1. What is the relationship between mainstream quantum physics and consciousness?

There is ongoing debate and speculation about the relationship between mainstream quantum physics and consciousness. Some scientists argue that consciousness is a direct result of quantum processes in the brain, while others argue that consciousness is an emergent property of complex neural networks.

2. Can quantum physics explain consciousness?

There is currently no concrete evidence or widely accepted theory that explains consciousness through quantum physics. While some aspects of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, have been suggested as possible explanations for consciousness, this remains a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

3. How does the observer effect relate to consciousness?

The observer effect in quantum mechanics refers to the idea that the act of observing a particle can change its behavior. Some scientists have speculated that this could also apply to consciousness, suggesting that our conscious observation is what brings a wave function collapse and determines reality. However, this is a controversial and unproven theory.

4. Are there any experiments that have explored the connection between quantum physics and consciousness?

There have been some experiments that have attempted to explore the connection between quantum physics and consciousness, such as the double-slit experiment and the delayed-choice quantum eraser. However, these experiments have not provided conclusive evidence for a direct link between the two.

5. How does mainstream quantum physics approach the concept of consciousness?

Most mainstream quantum physicists do not consider consciousness to be a fundamental part of their research or theories. While some may acknowledge the potential implications of quantum mechanics for understanding consciousness, the majority of research and experimentation in quantum physics is focused on other areas such as particle behavior and technological applications.