Mainstream interpretation of Newton's bucket argument?

In summary: Anyway, do you have any actual substantive discussion points or do you just want to bicker about whether some position represents the mainstream view?
wisdom
TL;DR Summary
What is the current mainstream interpretation of Newton's bucket argument in regards to concepts similar to "absolute space"?
What is the current mainstream interpretation of Newton's bucket argument in regards to "absolute space" or similar concepts?

Wikipedia asserts both that Newton's intention may either have been (1) to prove the "metaphysical" existence of something we'd call "absolute space" (i.e. some some space-substrate akin to "luminiferous ether"), or (2) to merely operationally define rotation and make no remark one way or another on real underlying substance that could be called "absolute space."

But my question is not about the historical question of what did Newton really intend. My question is: how does the mainstream interpret this experiment? Would they claim that it does highlight a sort of special "metaphysical" something underpinning space? Or would they rather say that the experiment does nothing of the sort, but rather only illustrates physical considerations underlying rotation calculations?

Links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucket_argument
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_spheres
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_rotation
https://books.google.com/books?id=3...=centrifugal Einstein rotating globes&f=false
https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...isolated-body-in-deep-space-know-its-rotating
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach's_principle

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Newton’s bucket shows that a rotating reference frame is non-inertial. It does not imply “absolute space” as that concept is usually understood.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
Newton’s bucket shows that a rotating reference frame is non-inertial. It does not imply “absolute space” as that concept is usually understood.
To be more clear, my question aims to determine the mainstream view, not to elicit personal opinions.

Furthermore, while it may be a tad unconventional, by "absolute space", my original post means any of a variety of positions that infers real properties to underlying space via the bucket argument. So that would include not only the original "absolute space" concept but also "ether" and "Mach's principle". The alternative to this would be to hold that the bucket argument doesn't give us any special insight regarding inferring any such properties (I take it that you hold this opinion; such was already cited in my original post).

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
wisdom said:
while it may be a tad unconventional, by "absolute space", my original post means
Sorry, I will not permit a discussion here on this forum using a personal definition of “absolute space”. If we use a non-standard definition then we could very well be taken out of context to seem that we were supporting the standard concept.

As that term is usually meant there is no “absolute space”, and Newton’s bucket does not contradict that.

wisdom said:
So that would include not only the original "absolute space" concept but also "ether" and "Mach's principle".
Of those three, only “Mach’s principle” is still an open question. And even that seems rather weak. It lacks a clear experimental meaning and the main theory that claims to implement it has failed to be experimentally distinguished from GR.

Likes vanhees71
Dale said:
Sorry, I will not permit a discussion here on this forum using a personal definition of “absolute space”.
(1) There's nothing to discuss, I'm just telling you what I meant; (2) I don't see any practical significance of this remark given your answer:
Dale said:
Of those three, only “Mach’s principle” is still an open question. And even that seems rather weak. It lacks a clear experimental meaning and the main theory that claims to implement it has failed to be experimentally distinguished from GR.
But again, the point isn't to discuss your opinions it's to identify the mainstream view of this topic.

To the best of my knowledge my posts above represent the mainstream scientific view. However, I do not have any polling data on the topic to confirm or contradict that claim.

Likes vanhees71 and wisdom
I am not sure that you are correctly representing @AnssiH’s understanding on the matter, specifically on what they understand is the mainstream position. I have tagged them so they can clarify if they would like to do so.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Dale said:
I am not sure that you are correctly representing @AnssiH’s understanding on the matter, specifically on what they understand is the mainstream position. I have tagged them so they can clarify if they would like to do so.
That'd be great if he'd comment. Did you agree with his take on the issue?

wisdom said:
That'd be great if he'd comment. Did you agree with his take on the issue?
I don’t think that they made any claim at all about the mainstream scientific view of either Newton’s bucket or absolute space.

Anyway, do you have any actual substantive discussion points or do you just want to bicker about whether some position represents the mainstream view? This topic is not very scientific to begin with, so let’s at least make an effort for a substantive discussion.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50, russ_watters and Motore
Dale said:
Anyway, do you have any actual substantive discussion points or do you just want to bicker about whether some position represents the mainstream view? This topic is not very scientific to begin with, so let’s at least make an effort for a substantive discussion.
If I were to adopt the same manner of discussion you've been using on me on you (and I'm including remarks I saw via email notification but that you've since edited to be calmer and nicer here), approximately how fast would my account get disabled?

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and Motore
I found this one a bit interesting. I asked ChatGPT "Do physicists still think that the bucket experiment reveals anything about the nature of space?" and it said:

"Modern physicists generally do not interpret Newton's bucket experiment as revealing anything about the nature of space itself. Instead, the experiment is more commonly viewed as a demonstration of the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Newton's bucket experiment shows that a rotating object, such as a bucket of water, experiences a force away from the center of rotation, which is due to the object's inertia and not any inherent property of space. In the context of modern physics, the experiment is typically used as an illustration of the principle of inertia, rather than as a statement about the nature of space."

Perhaps this is some measure of "mainstream" given how ChatGPT is trained.

• Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and Motore
Since there does not seem to be any interest on your part in anything other than bickering about the mainstream view, this thread is closed.

Likes Frabjous

1. What is the main concept behind Newton's bucket argument?

The main concept behind Newton's bucket argument is to demonstrate the existence of absolute space, which is a fixed and unchanging reference frame in which all motion can be measured.

2. How does Newton's bucket argument support his theory of absolute space?

Newton's bucket argument uses the example of a spinning bucket of water to show that the water will form a concave surface due to the centrifugal force. This demonstrates that the water is moving relative to the bucket, but the bucket itself is not moving relative to the absolute space.

3. What is the significance of Newton's bucket argument in the history of science?

Newton's bucket argument was a major contribution to the development of classical mechanics and the concept of absolute space. It also sparked debates and discussions about the nature of space and motion, leading to further advancements in the field of physics.

4. Are there any criticisms or counterarguments to Newton's bucket argument?

Yes, there have been criticisms and counterarguments to Newton's bucket argument. Some have argued that the concave surface of the water can also be explained by the rotation of the universe, rather than the existence of absolute space. Others have pointed out that the bucket itself is not an inertial frame of reference, which goes against Newton's definition of absolute space.

5. How does the mainstream interpretation of Newton's bucket argument differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

The mainstream interpretation of Newton's bucket argument supports the idea of absolute space, while Einstein's theory of relativity rejects the concept of absolute space and instead proposes that all motion is relative to the observer. Additionally, Einstein's theory of relativity has been supported by experimental evidence, while Newton's bucket argument is based on theoretical reasoning.