Majoring in Math(pure) w/ a minor in physics

In summary, obtaining a PhD in math will give you more options for a career in teaching post-high school.
MostlyHarmless
Currently I am pursuing the aforementioned degree with the intent on getting my masters in math. I've pretty much had my eye on teaching after college, but I really haven't weighed my options partly because I don't know what my options are. I do want to teach but I don't want to teach grade school. So in the case that I can't get a job as a college professor (junior or senior college) I was wondering what other things can I do with a Masters in Math with a minor in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should be shooting for a PhD in math is you really want to teach college level. Some community colleges may hire you temporarily as a part time teacher with only a masters, but for the most part those jobs are very competitive and many people with PhDs do apply to them.

The community college that I attended only has one true Math PhD

Well, the community college *I* attend has 3 of them, though, we have quite a few full time faculty. Though, the department chair only has her masters (but quite a bit of experience and publications with regards to teaching/education).

However, they now only hire math PhD's for full time professors. Adjuncts/part times profs have their M.S in math. Simply put, if your aim is to teach at the post-HS level (whether it be at a private/public/jr college/whathave you), obtaining the PhD will provide you with more options towards that goal. It will make you more competitive, which when the pickings are slim--is always a good thing.

With a M.S you can do many things, but honestly, it's your connections and other skills that will be a major factor in what you will go on to do. You can gain these skills through internships or side projects while still in school.

Congratulations on pursuing a degree in math with a minor in physics! It sounds like you have a clear goal in mind of obtaining a masters in math and potentially pursuing a career in teaching. However, it's always a good idea to explore your options and have a backup plan in case your initial plans don't work out.

With a masters in math and a minor in physics, there are a variety of career paths you can pursue outside of teaching. You may want to consider working in research and development for a company or government agency, where your strong mathematical and analytical skills will be highly valued. You could also explore opportunities in data analysis and data science, as these fields require a strong background in math and physics.

Another option could be to work in the finance or banking industry, where your quantitative skills would be in high demand. You could also consider becoming an actuary, using your math and physics knowledge to assess and manage risk for insurance companies.

In addition, your degree could open up opportunities in engineering, computer science, or even consulting. With a strong background in math and physics, you will have the analytical and problem-solving skills necessary for success in a variety of industries.

It's also worth mentioning that you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to a traditional teaching role. You could also explore opportunities in education technology, curriculum development, or tutoring.

Overall, there are many exciting and fulfilling career options available to you with a masters in math and a minor in physics. I encourage you to continue exploring and considering your options, and to never hesitate to reach out to professionals in your field for advice and guidance. Best of luck in your studies and future career!

1. What is the difference between majoring in pure Math and applied Math?

Majoring in pure Math focuses on theoretical concepts and proofs, while applied Math involves using mathematical principles to solve practical problems in other fields such as engineering or finance.

2. Can I still pursue a career in physics with a minor in physics?

Yes, a minor in physics can provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics and can be beneficial for pursuing a career in fields such as data science or research.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to major in pure Math?

No, a strong foundation in mathematics is the most important requirement for majoring in pure Math. However, some knowledge of physics can be helpful in understanding certain mathematical concepts.

4. What skills can I develop by majoring in pure Math with a minor in physics?

Majoring in pure Math with a minor in physics can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, as well as a strong understanding of abstract concepts and their applications.

5. What types of jobs can I get with a major in pure Math and a minor in physics?

Some common career options for individuals with this educational background include data analyst, actuary, research scientist, and mathematical modeler. These skills are also highly sought after in industries such as finance, technology, and government.