1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majoring in Math(pure) w/ a minor in physics

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    Currently I am pursuing the aforementioned degree with the intent on getting my masters in math. I've pretty much had my eye on teaching after college, but I really haven't weighed my options partly because I don't know what my options are. I do want to teach but I don't want to teach grade school. So in the case that I can't get a job as a college professor (junior or senior college) I was wondering what other things can I do with a Masters in Math with a minor in physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2
    I think you should be shooting for a PhD in math is you really want to teach college level. Some community colleges may hire you temporarily as a part time teacher with only a masters, but for the most part those jobs are very competitive and many people with PhDs do apply to them.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    The community college that I attended only has one true Math PhD

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Well, the community college *I* attend has 3 of them, though, we have quite a few full time faculty. Though, the department chair only has her masters (but quite a bit of experience and publications with regards to teaching/education).

However, they now only hire math PhD's for full time professors. Adjuncts/part times profs have their M.S in math. Simply put, if your aim is to teach at the post-HS level (whether it be at a private/public/jr college/whathave you), obtaining the PhD will provide you with more options towards that goal. It will make you more competitive, which when the pickings are slim--is always a good thing.

With a M.S you can do many things, but honestly, it's your connections and other skills that will be a major factor in what you will go on to do. You can gain these skills through internships or side projects while still in school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook