1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make water flow up in pipe

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    Good day to you all, some of you may be able to help me with my problem. So I have a flat roof and I have a pipe that goes from the roof to the ground and it drains all the water. I want to extend the pipe to a rain barrel, so I can use it for the garden. The rain barrel has an opening at the top where the pipe should go to let out all the water. The problem is that the pipe is lower than where the opening of the rain barrel is. I thought of drilling a hole in the side of the rain barrel and putting a check valve there so the water can go into the rain barrel but not back into the pipe. I just want to know if that will work or if there is another way to like make water go up a pipe and into the rain barrel, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think a check valve would work. The efficiency of the entire thing might depend on how steep the incline of the bottom of the pipe to the rain barrel is. Perhaps a siphon might come in handy ... ?

And the entire project shouldn't be too costly so you can always experiment and play around with the setup :smile:

4. May 16, 2016 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the point of the check valve? You will need a water column inside the pipe which is as high as the water column in the barrel for water to flow through it. As you empty the barrel, the water surface in both will go down. You will never have a higher surface in the barrel than in the pipe (which is why you might want a check valve) unless you fill it using some other means - so unless you do that the valve is completely without function.

5. May 16, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I thought the OP was implying that rain barrel is on higher ground than where the start of the pipe is, no?

6. May 16, 2016 #5
    The rain barrel is indeed higher than the pipe

7. May 16, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

In that case, a check valve would serve a function.

8. May 16, 2016 #7

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

.... though I think that your first goal is to figure out how to push the water up the incline. Wouldn't a siphon work?

9. May 16, 2016 #8

1oldman2

Gold Member

Your on the right track, only you need to maintain the siphon suction during low water in the barrel.

10. May 16, 2016 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The rain barrel is higher than the top of the pipe where it meets the roof? Really?

11. May 16, 2016 #10
    A pump, it could be low power solar wotsit powered pump if you have a lot of sun.

12. May 16, 2016 #11

1oldman2

Gold Member

are you speaking of an inlet or outlet on the barrel ?

13. May 16, 2016 #12
    Russ is onto something. It sounds like the water source is on the roof and the barrel is on the ground. Just extend the pipe back up from the ground to where it dumps into the barrel. The static head coming down from the roof will push it up into the barrel.

14. May 17, 2016 #13

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What Russ said. If the barrel is higher than the top of the pipe you do not need a check valve, you need a pump.

The only reasonable interpretation of the OP is that the pipe outlet is lower than the top of the barrel.
    This.

15. May 17, 2016 #14

russ_watters

Right. The pipe would be full of water up to the level of the barrel top, but that's probably not a big deal.

16. May 17, 2016 #15
    The barrel is higher than where the pipe ends, but not higher than where the pipe starts

17. May 17, 2016 #16

russ_watters

So just extend the pipe back up to the top of the barrel. The pipe will remain full of water and will need to be well sealed.

18. May 17, 2016 #17
    If I make the pipe go up how will the water go up?

19. May 17, 2016 #18

russ_watters

The water will fill up the pipe until it spills out whatever is the lowest opening...which will be into the rain barrel.

20. May 17, 2016 #19
    That may be true, but wouldn't that mean that not all the water will go into the barrel?

21. May 17, 2016 #20

russ_watters

Yes, the pipe will hold a certain amount of water all the time. But rain barrels fill up surprisingly fast, so I doubt that will be a problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted