Making a filter that remains the same when loaded

• Thread starter Ry122
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a buffer stage to prevent poles from shifting when loading a filter made out of a BJT. It is also mentioned that the output buffer will depend on signal power, impedance, and load characteristics. However, using a simple emitter follower can result in non-linearity and a 180-degree phase shift. It is suggested to use an op-amp filter or a push-pull amplifier for better linearity and impedance matching. The conversation also mentions the challenges of filter design and the importance of considering real-world factors such as temperature drift and component reliability.
Jeff Rosenbury said:
To put it another way, maximum gain is dependent on the ß of the transistor. But since each transistor has a different ß it is hard to know just what that maximum gain will be.
However, I must state - for the sake of accuracy - that two gain stages with different ß values and the same dc quiescent current Ic have the same signal gain.
This gain does NOT depend on ß but on the transconductance gm only (that is the slope of the Ic=f(Vbe) curve).
What differs is the signal input resistance at the base node only (smaller base current for higher ß values).
(It is a common misconception that higher current gain would give also higher voltage gain; perhaps, this false conclusion is caused by the - false - assumption that the BJT would be a current-controlled device).

Engineering news on Phys.org
hopefully there's some other benefit in addition to it making the gain stage's gain being less dependent on the inherent beta value of each transistor, because hand selecting a couple of transistors so they have the same beta value is extremely doable for me.

Ry122 said:
hopefully there's some other benefit in addition to it making the gain stage's gain being less dependent on the inherent beta value of each transistor, because hand selecting a couple of transistors so they have the same beta value is extremely doable for me.

Ry122 - in my post#25 I have listed all the benefits in case of ac feedback.

only 1 of those is applicable though right, since all the others can be obtained by only having an Re for DC

@ Ry122. What is the application for this amplifier ?

microphone amplifier

Ry122 said:
only 1 of those is applicable though right, since all the others can be obtained by only having an Re for DC
Sorry - but that`s not true. If Re is bypassed using a capacitor you only have one single effect: Stabilization of the dc opereating point.
All other benefits connected with ac feedback are lost.