1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making an inexact differential equation exact

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have another question. The following equation is inexact. Find an integrating factor u that makes the equation exact.

(-9/6)x4y6+3x8y7+x6)dx+(−1x5y5+(13/21)x9y6)dy=0

2. Relevant equations
    Call the part before dx M, and the part before dy N.

3. The attempt at a solution
    We did an example like this in class where to find u we took [(dM/dy)-(dN/dx)] / N. (those are partial derivatives). Then the answer to that was integrated and put to the power of e (e^integrated answer).

I tried doing that but it gave me something weird.

Partial of M with respect to y: -9x4y5 + 21x8y6

Parital of N with respect to x: -5x4y5 + ((21*9)/13)x8y6

Then take the difference between the two and get -4x4y5 -6.46x8y6

And divide that by N. this gives some weird function that I don't think is right because the answers are usually simple. I'm guessing I wasn't supposed to use the same initial formula that the example did, but all the examples seem to use it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The test you are trying is to look for an integrating factor a pure function of x. There is a similar test looking for a pure function of y. You can read about these tests in the thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2375160#post2375160

Neither of these tests seem to work for your problem. Nobody promises that such a DE will have such an integrating factor although many textbook exercises of this type do have them. Sometimes a misprint is to blame when the author intended it to work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook