Making analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system

In summary: Presumably, there will be pressure differences and possibly flow changes.Hi, Because of pictures that are drawn, I find easier to make question completely in pdf document.Thanks for help and understandingIn summary, because pictures can be used to help with understanding questions, this makes it easier to move fluids. There will be pressure differences in fluids depending on velocity and effects of gravity. OlderDan was confused about how an analogy between an electrical circuit and a fluid circuit could be useful. I think the difference between the two is negligible, but it can be seen if you measure the voltage difference between two points. Finally, I am interested in learning what will happen when two different pipes connect in the same point. Presumably, there will be pressure
Micko
Hi,
Because of pictures that are drawn, I find easier to make question completely in pdf document.
Thanks for help and understanding

Attachments

• Fluid-electrical analogy.pdf
    7.6 KB · Views: 893
Physics news on Phys.org
Micko said:
Hi,
Because of pictures that are drawn, I find easier to make question completely in pdf document.
Thanks for help and understanding
I'm sure this is not a complete answer to your question, but pressure in moving fluids is governed by Bernoulli's Equation

http://www.princeton.edu/~asmits/Bicycle_web/Bernoulli.html

There will be pressure differences in fluids depending on velocity and effects of gravity.

OlderDan, I have read about Bernoulli equation but I'm still confused about how analogy can be performed.
Main question is if fluid circuit is a system with distribuited parameters i.e. pressure drop occurs continually with length of a pipeline. I think so, and that's why I doubt this analogy with electrical circuit will give good results in wider band of applications.

I think you've taken the analogy a bit too far. The pressure/volume analogy of volts/current is used mainly for a more easily understood example of something you can't see (electricity). The properties are similar, not identical.

Btw, technically the voltage won't be exactly the same at B and C, because it's farther from A to B than A to C, so there is a wee bit more voltage drop at B. :wink:

moo

moo said:
I think you've taken the analogy a bit too far. The pressure/volume analogy of volts/current is used mainly for a more easily understood example of something you can't see (electricity). The properties are similar, not identical.

Btw, technically the voltage won't be exactly the same at B and C, because it's farther from A to B than A to C, so there is a wee bit more voltage drop at B. :wink:

moo

I agree, but the difference will be negligible because resistors used in this example usually have resistance that is much greater than resistance of line, and model implicitely assumes that all resistance is concentrated in resistors, so line resistance is 0. Since el. mag wave transfer at speed close to spped of light, voltage difference is negligible. Difference can be spoted in case of distances that can be compared with el.mag. wave length. On the other hand, in fluid circuit, there is always a pressure drop across pipeline . I'm interested to learn what happens when two different pipes (different diameters) connects in same point.

What is the concept of analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system?

The concept of analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system is based on the similarities between the two systems. Just like fluid flow, electrical current flows through a medium and can be manipulated by external forces. By understanding the similarities between the two systems, we can apply principles from one system to help us better understand and analyze the other.

What are the key elements that are common between fluid mechanical and electrical system?

The key elements that are common between fluid mechanical and electrical system are flow rate, pressure, resistance, and capacitance. In fluid mechanics, flow rate is the volume of fluid passing through a certain point per unit time, while in electrical systems, flow rate is the amount of charge passing through a point per unit time. Pressure is the force exerted on a certain area, which is equivalent to voltage in electrical systems. Resistance is the obstruction to flow, which is similar to resistance in electrical circuits. Finally, capacitance is the ability to store energy, which can be seen in both fluid and electrical systems.

What are some examples of using analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system in real-world applications?

One example of using analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system is in the design of hydraulic systems. By using principles of electrical circuits, engineers can design efficient hydraulic systems for heavy machinery and vehicles. Another example is in the study of blood flow in the human body, where electrical analogies have been used to understand and analyze the flow of blood through the circulatory system.

What are the limitations of using analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system?

While the analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system can be useful in understanding the behavior of these systems, it is important to note that they are not identical. There are certain limitations and differences between the two systems that must be taken into account when using analogies. For example, fluid flow is affected by factors such as viscosity and turbulence, which do not have direct equivalents in electrical systems.

How does the concept of analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system aid in scientific research?

The concept of analogy between fluid mechanical and electrical system allows scientists and researchers to apply principles and theories from one field to another, leading to a better understanding of complex systems. It also allows for the development of new technologies and techniques by combining ideas and methods from different fields. This approach can be particularly useful in areas such as bioengineering and environmental science, where both fluid mechanics and electrical systems play a crucial role.