Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making sure events are simultaneous in S'

1. Jul 30, 2010 #1
    I have a problem where it requires me to find when a laser should be fired at an asteroid to ensure that in the reference frame of the asteroid, the laser hits the back and front within 1 millisecond. I thought that I could define events in S' such that the front and back are hit at t' = 0, and then see what events this would correspond to in S. Thus I would know when the events must happen in S to ensure simultaneity. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2010 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that would work.

4. Jul 30, 2010 #3
    It seems logical to me, however when I try and use inverse lorentz transformations on those events to get the coordinates in S and then re-transform those S coordinates back into S' it says that those events are not simultaneous in S'. I thought this was a 'closed loop'. I should get the original events I defined back right?

5. Jul 30, 2010 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes. That is what it means for a transform to be an inverse. You must have made an arithmetic error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook