Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mammoth discovery and Ivory

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    About the most recent spectacular mammoth find, the little baby:

it is said:

However, if you go there, the first thing that comes into mind is not 'global warming' that has increased the recent mammoth finds as the temperatures are roughly comparable to the 1940s, it's simply business. Ivory.

A few years ago Elephant ivory became banned and it may no longer be imported or traded. However Mammoths are not an endangered species and the trade of mammoth ivory cannot be restricted. It was known for years that the Siberian taiga's and tundra's were just about saturated with mammoth bones and tusks. So, the ivory hunters swarmed the areas and they are are collecting tons of tusks, with very mixed feelings of the paleontologists, since they ruin the finding places but they also do spectacular discoveries like this, in places in which previously nobody was interested in. There is a lot more to be expected.

My friend tells me that this particular mammoth baby is about 30,000 years old. Waiting for the scientific publication.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cute little calf, oh but what mysteries will she reveal?

That's very sad about the ivory profiteers of Siberia. So for them, it's somewhat like a cash cow , a means to put food on their table. They don't feel any shame or guilt in plundering the remains of animals from antiquity.
  4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

Very interesting, Andre! How soon do the baby males begin to develop tusks?
  5. Dec 6, 2008 #4
    According to Michio Kaku of String Theory fame, mammoth and dinosaur bones contain soft tissue suitable for DNA extraction. Incredibly the DNA is much better preserved in bones that it is in hair and the like. So be weary if you hear about a rash of breakins into dinosaur museums. Jurassic park here we come!
  6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    Its so tiny, I wonder how it died.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?