Manipulating Simple Harmonic Motion Equation

In summary: So, in summary, when an object's amplitude and period are both doubled in simple harmonic motion, the object's maximum speed will remain unchanged.
Glorzifen

Homework Statement

An object moves with simple harmonic motion. If the amplitude and the period are both doubled, the object's maximum speed is:
A) Quartered
B) Halved
C) Quadrupled
D) Doubled
E) Unchanged

Homework Equations

x(t) = Acos(wt + [tex]\varphi[/tex])
v(t) = -wAsin(wt + [tex]\varphi[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Since 2 double the period (T) is to halve the frequency (f) because of (f = 1/T), and since omega (w) = 2[tex]\pi[/tex]f...then w will be halved as well (right?):

f = 1/2T --> .5f --> 2[tex]\pi[/tex].5f = .5w

So that gives me: v(t) = -.5wAsin(.5w + [tex]\varphi[/tex])
And with the amplitude doubled: v(t) = -wAsin(.5w + [tex]\varphi[/tex])

Not sure if I did any of that correctly and I'm not sure what that means for my speed...is it halved? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in your logic that [tex]\omega[/tex] is halved as well. Let's look at what the question is asking. What is the *Maxiumum* velocity? You have written the equation for velocity:

[tex] v(t) = A_0 \omega Sin(\omega t) [/tex]

You should know that [tex] A_0 [/tex] is the maximum amplitude.

Because the maximum value of any Sin function is 1, that means that the maximum velocity will be given by

[tex] v_{max} (t) = A_0 \omega [/tex]

Now what will happen when the amplitude and period are both doubled?

Ah. Okay...I didn't know how to deal with the whole sine thing (obviously). So based on this Vmax equation the max velocity will remain unchanged. Correct?

Exactly. When dealing with maximum values, your sin and cosine functions will generally disappear for the reasons stated above.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

How can the Simple Harmonic Motion equation be manipulated?

The Simple Harmonic Motion equation can be manipulated by changing the values of A, ω, and φ. For example, changing the value of A will change the amplitude of the oscillation, while changing the value of ω will change the frequency of the oscillation.

What factors affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion include the mass of the object, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the initial conditions (amplitude, phase angle, and initial velocity).

What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and the vibrations of a guitar string. SHM can also be observed in the motion of a swing, a vibrating tuning fork, and the movement of a car's suspension system.