Manipulation of Cartesian Tensors

• Thread starter Hoplite
  • Start date
I have a question relating to a particle rotating around a point with velocity [tex]u = \Omega \times r[/tex], where [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the angular velocity and r is the position relative to the pivot point.

I need to prove that the acceleration is given by,

[tex]a = -\frac{1}{2} \nabla [(\Omega \times r)^2] [/tex]

I figured it should follow from the fact that,

[tex]a = \frac{du}{dt} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + u \cdot \nabla u = u \cdot \nabla u [/tex]

But I can't work out where to go from there. We are supposed to use Cartesian tensor methods to work it out.

Could anyone help me out?

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
[tex] \vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\vec{\Omega}\times \vec{r}\right) =\frac{d\vec{\Omega}}{dt}\times\vec{r} +\vec{\Omega}\times\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}[/tex]

Daniel.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
[tex] \frac{d\vec{\Omega}}{dt}=\left(\vec{\Omega}\times \vec{r}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{\Omega} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\vec{\Omega}}{dt}\times \vec{r}=\left[\left(\vec{\Omega}\times \vec{r}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{\Omega}\right]\times \vec{r}= \frac{1}{2}\nabla\left[\left(\vec{\Omega}\times\vec{r}\right)\cdot\left(\vec{\Omega}\times\vec{r}\right)\right] -\vec{\Omega}\times\left(\vec{\Omega}\times\vec{r}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{r}[/tex]

In the end i get the plus sign.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks, Daniel.

Yeah, I suspect the negative sign was a typo on the question sheet, especially considering the identity,

[tex]\vec u \cdot \nabla \vec u = \frac{1}{2} \nabla (\vec u \cdot \vec u) + (\nabla \times \vec u) \times \vec u [/tex]