1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulation of Cartesian Tensors

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    I have a question relating to a particle rotating around a point with velocity [tex]u = \Omega \times r[/tex], where [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the angular velocity and r is the position relative to the pivot point.

I need to prove that the acceleration is given by,

[tex]a = -\frac{1}{2} \nabla [(\Omega \times r)^2] [/tex]

I figured it should follow from the fact that,

[tex]a = \frac{du}{dt} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + u \cdot \nabla u = u \cdot \nabla u [/tex]

But I can't work out where to go from there. We are supposed to use Cartesian tensor methods to work it out.

Could anyone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\vec{\Omega}\times \vec{r}\right) =\frac{d\vec{\Omega}}{dt}\times\vec{r} +\vec{\Omega}\times\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}[/tex]

Daniel.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \frac{d\vec{\Omega}}{dt}=\left(\vec{\Omega}\times \vec{r}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{\Omega} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\vec{\Omega}}{dt}\times \vec{r}=\left[\left(\vec{\Omega}\times \vec{r}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{\Omega}\right]\times \vec{r}= \frac{1}{2}\nabla\left[\left(\vec{\Omega}\times\vec{r}\right)\cdot\left(\vec{\Omega}\times\vec{r}\right)\right] -\vec{\Omega}\times\left(\vec{\Omega}\times\vec{r}\cdot\nabla\right)\vec{r}[/tex]

In the end i get the plus sign.

Daniel.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  5. Nov 6, 2006 #4
    Thanks, Daniel.

Yeah, I suspect the negative sign was a typo on the question sheet, especially considering the identity,

[tex]\vec u \cdot \nabla \vec u = \frac{1}{2} \nabla (\vec u \cdot \vec u) + (\nabla \times \vec u) \times \vec u [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?