Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Manipulation of partial differential operators.

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that u(x,y) and y(x,z) are both continuous, differentiable functions show that

([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex])x=([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])x([itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}[/itex])x

2. Relevant equations

Only equations given above

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to write out the total differential for du and dy and then holding x constant so dx=0 I rearranged the equations to get

[itex]\frac{du}{dz}[/itex]=([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])x([itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}[/itex])x

I then tried to get [itex]\frac{du}{dz}[/itex] in another form but couldn't see a way of getting ([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex])x from what I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The chain rule gives
    [tex]
    \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \right)_x
    = \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right)_y
    \left( \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} \right)_x
    + \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \right)_x
    \left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right)_x
    [/tex]
    So why is it that the first term on the right always vanishes?

4. Dec 19, 2012 #3
    Sorry mis read that!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. Dec 19, 2012 #4
    I'm sorry I don't know. I thought that the chain rule for partial derivatives was;

[itex]\frac{du}{dz}[/itex] = ([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex])y([itex]\frac{dx}{dz}[/itex]) + ([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])x([itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex])

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook