1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Manipulation of partial differential operators.

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given that u(x,y) and y(x,z) are both continuous, differentiable functions show that

([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex])x=([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])x([itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}[/itex])x

2. Relevant equations

Only equations given above

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to write out the total differential for du and dy and then holding x constant so dx=0 I rearranged the equations to get

[itex]\frac{du}{dz}[/itex]=([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])x([itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial z}[/itex])x

I then tried to get [itex]\frac{du}{dz}[/itex] in another form but couldn't see a way of getting ([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial z}[/itex])x from what I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

The chain rule gives
    [tex]
    \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} \right)_x
    = \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right)_y
    \left( \frac{\partial x}{\partial z} \right)_x
    + \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \right)_x
    \left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial z} \right)_x
    [/tex]
    So why is it that the first term on the right always vanishes?

4. Dec 19, 2012 #3
    Sorry mis read that!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. Dec 19, 2012 #4
    I'm sorry I don't know. I thought that the chain rule for partial derivatives was;

[itex]\frac{du}{dz}[/itex] = ([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/itex])y([itex]\frac{dx}{dz}[/itex]) + ([itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/itex])x([itex]\frac{dy}{dz}[/itex])

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook