Manipulating Power Series for Coefficient Extraction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the power series ##\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n## and how to manipulate it to obtain the result ##\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^n = \frac{x}{(1-x)^2}##. The suggestion is to take the first derivative of the first series and multiply by x, which is considered a manipulation of the series. This ultimately leads to the desired result.
Amrator

Homework Statement

By considering the power series (good for |x| < 1)

##\frac{1}{1-x} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 +...##

Describe how to manipulate this series in some way to obtain the result:

##\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^n = \frac{x}{(1-x)^2}##

Homework Equations

Maclaurin series?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to somehow relate n to ##\frac{x}{1-x}## and then multiply the first series (with its index shifted) by that result. Problem is I couldn't find any relation. I basically don't even know where to start. I would appreciate a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried taking the first derivative of the first series?

blue_leaf77 said:
Have you tried taking the first derivative of the first series?

No. I'll try that.

I guess my problem was understanding what they meant by "manipulating". Wouldn't taking the derivative of a series give me a whole new series? I don't see how that's "manipulating".

Thanks.

When you compare the compact forms of the function, you can't see any equivalence between them. They are indeed an entirely different functions. I think this problem just asks you to find a way to get the ##x/(1-x)^2## from ##1/(1-x)## by looking at their respective power series.

Likes Amrator
Amrator said:
No. I'll try that.

I guess my problem was understanding what they meant by "manipulating". Wouldn't taking the derivative of a series give me a whole new series? I don't see how that's "manipulating".
By "manipulating" the series, they mean applying some operation to it. Taking the derivative term-by-term definitely counts as manipulating the series.

Likes Amrator
Alright, I took the first derivative and multiplied by x. Thanks guys.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a representation of a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a variable raised to a specific power. It is a useful tool for approximating functions and solving differential equations.

2. How do you manipulate a power series?

To manipulate a power series, you can use various techniques such as differentiation, integration, and substitution. These operations can help you find the derivative, integral, or composition of two or more power series.

3. What is the purpose of manipulating a power series?

The main purpose of manipulating a power series is to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with. It can also help in finding approximate solutions to differential equations or evaluating functions at specific points.

4. What are some common applications of power series?

Power series have various applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used in approximating functions, solving differential equations, and analyzing data. They are also used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and computer graphics.

5. Are there any limitations to manipulating power series?

Yes, there are some limitations to manipulating power series. One limitation is that they may not converge for all values of the variable. In addition, some operations may only be applicable to certain types of power series. It is important to be aware of these limitations and use caution when manipulating power series.