Manually Graphing Trigonometric Functions - Turning Points, Extrema

In summary, the conversation discusses two curves, y1 and y2, that intersect in three points within the interval (1,3). The task is to draw the graphs, calculate the minimum and maximum points, and find the turning points and points of intersection. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to determine the turning points for y1 using the derivative and the use of numerical methods to find the turning points.
phyzmatix

Homework Statement

Two curves

[tex]y_1=(\frac{20}{x^2})\sin(\frac{10}{x})[/tex]

and

[tex]y_2=5\cos x[/tex]

intersect in three points in the interval (1,3). Draw the graphs, compute the minimum and maximum points as well as the turning points and show the points of intersection.

2. The attempt at a solution

The second function is straightforward, so my issues arise solely from y1. It's easy enough to see that y1 will be undefined at x=0 and also to determine the y-intercepts in the interval (1,3). My problems start when I try to determine the turning points for y1.

I know that the turning points will be found where

[tex]y'_1=0[/tex]

i.e. where

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[(\frac{20}{x^2})\sin(\frac{10}{x})]=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{-40}{x^3})\sin(\frac{10}{x})+(\frac{20}{x^2})\cos(\frac{10}{x})(\frac{-10}{x^2})=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{-40}{x^3})\sin(\frac{10}{x})+(\frac{-200}{x^4})\cos(\frac{10}{x})=0[/tex]

[tex](\frac{-40}{x^3})[\sin(\frac{10}{x})+(\frac{5}{x})\cos(\frac{10}{x})]=0[/tex]

[tex]\sin(\frac{10}{x})=-(\frac{5}{x})\cos(\frac{10}{x})[/tex]

[tex]x\sin(\frac{10}{x})=-5\cos(\frac{10}{x})[/tex]

But now what? This can be simplified to either

[tex]\tan(\frac{10}{x})=\frac{-5}{x}[/tex]

or

[tex]x\tan(\frac{10}{x})=-5[/tex]

Neither of which help me much as I have no idea how to proceed beyond this point. Assuming I didn't make any mistakes, how do I determine the values of x where y1 will have turning points? Of course, if my reasoning is flawed/I made a mistake somewhere, please let me know.

Your help is appreciated!
phyz

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working looks OK. I think you may need to find the turning points using numerical methods or from the graph.

wywong said:
Your working looks OK. I think you may need to find the turning points using numerical methods or from the graph.

Well, I can't draw the graph until I have the turning points...But if you can enlighten me somewhat on how to go about determining the turning points using numerical methods I'll be extremely grateful!

1. What is a turning point in a trigonometric function?

A turning point in a trigonometric function is a point where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. It can also be referred to as a stationary point, where the slope of the function is equal to zero.

2. How do you find the turning points of a trigonometric function?

The turning points of a trigonometric function can be found by setting the first derivative of the function equal to zero and solving for the variable. The resulting values will be the x-coordinates of the turning points. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and visually identify the turning points.

3. What is an extremum in a trigonometric function?

An extremum in a trigonometric function is a point where the function reaches its maximum or minimum value. This can be either a local extremum, where the function reaches a maximum or minimum within a specific interval, or a global extremum, where the function reaches the maximum or minimum value over the entire domain.

4. How can you determine the extrema of a trigonometric function?

The extrema of a trigonometric function can be determined by taking the second derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The resulting values will be the x-coordinates of the extrema. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the function and visually identify the extrema.

5. What is the significance of turning points and extrema in trigonometric functions?

Turning points and extrema play an important role in understanding the behavior and properties of trigonometric functions. They can help identify the range and domain of a function, as well as the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. Turning points and extrema can also be used to solve real-world problems involving trigonometric functions, such as finding maximum or minimum values in practical applications.