• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Manufacturing engineering books -- Follow-on questions

• Engineering
  • Thread starter AhmedHesham
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi guys
What are best manufacturing
engineering academic books for beginners

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
That would probably depend on the types of products being manufactured. What is your background so far? What kinds of industries are you interested in working in as a Manufacturing Engineer? What document control systemes are you familiar with so far? Do you have any experience yet with ERP systems?

https://nlcorp.extforms.netsuite.com/app/site/crm/externalleadpage.nl/compid.NLCORP/.f?formid=6074&h=AACffht_SXMt9uAv6VpwmC3Gzd3p1N7WMm4=&redirect_count=1&did_javascript_redirect=T&leadsource=G3554B102815SS&cid=ppc_g_24erp&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtf_tBRDtARIsAIbAKe0giCv_BCGrttmPq-0oh2RbolY9lM6qT0N6XrEAWco5ml0HOhVm8NcaAmCcEALw_wcB

I like Introduction to Manufacturing Processes by Schey (McGraw-Hill). It is a bit old by now, but I thought it was well done.

OK. Thanks for replying friends
The subject of metal casting and gating system I need a book on it

Hi friends

I am a first year engineering student.
I have no problem with math and chemistry and my grades are very good.
But I have a problem with manufacturing engineering.

The book is of really low quality that's why I started reading other books and search the internet for understanding. But still there's a lot of problems.
The subjects in the material are as follows :

Engineering materials and their properties
Metals production from ore
Casting
Gating system and metal solidification
Riser system
Powder metallurgy
Polymers
Plastics
Metal forming methods
Assembly
Machining

And I want someone to recommend a book or books that explain these subjects in a good way for beginners cause I don't understand them from my university book
Please help

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply say that these are not well explained in your textbook, but you don't identify what you think is missing. What do you want? More theoretical explanations? More descriptions of actual existing hardware? More examples? What do you want?

You simply say that these are not well explained in your textbook, but you don't identify what you think is missing. What do you want? More theoretical explanations? More descriptions of actual existing hardware? More examples? What do you want?
Thanks for replying
I simply want a book that explains these subjects in a good way

I think you can rest assured that the author of your textbook thinks that he has done that. If you cannot specify what you think the deficiency is, then that suggests the problem is more with you than with the textbook.

berkeman
Mentor
The book is of really low quality
Can you give us the textbook name and author and edition? Is it in English or a different language?

Can you give us the textbook name and author and edition? Is it in English or a different language?
Thanks for replying
The book is actually in Arabic
It's really a bad book
Our education system is different from yours
I suspect that the professor himself does really understand the material.

I think you can rest assured that the author of your textbook thinks that he has done that. If you cannot specify what you think the deficiency is, then that suggests the problem is more with you than with the textbook.
Actually the problems of the book are too many to discuss .
For example the references of the book
Sometimes the words in the book are a copy of the reference if not all
I said that I read in other books and understood them so the problem is not within me
I'm Egyptian and cannot speak English that well to discuss in details the problems of the book
Thanks

berkeman
Mentor
I'm Egyptian and cannot speak English that well to discuss in details the problems of the book
Thanks
Are you comfortable studying books that are written in English? If so, I can look back at some of the textbooks that I liked in Undergrad to try to find some that cover some of the topics you listed...

Are you comfortable studying books that are written in English? If so, I can look back at some of the textbooks that I liked in Undergrad to try to find some that cover some of the topics you listed...
Yes I'm comfortable but not perfectly but It is fine

Go to any of the on-line booksellers and see what they have to offer. I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.

Go to any of the on-line booksellers and see what they have to offer. I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.
OK thanks