Manufacturing engineering books -- Follow-on questions

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for recommendations on good manufacturing engineering books for beginners and expressing frustration with their current textbook. The conversation also touches on the student's background and language barriers. The expert suggests looking at online booksellers for potential books that may meet the student's needs.
AhmedHesham
Hi guys
What are best manufacturing
engineering academic books for beginners

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like Introduction to Manufacturing Processes by Schey (McGraw-Hill). It is a bit old by now, but I thought it was well done.

OK. Thanks for replying friends
The subject of metal casting and gating system I need a book on it

Hi friends

I am a first year engineering student.
I have no problem with math and chemistry and my grades are very good.
But I have a problem with manufacturing engineering.

The book is of really low quality that's why I started reading other books and search the internet for understanding. But still there's a lot of problems.
The subjects in the material are as follows :

Engineering materials and their properties
Metals production from ore
Casting
Gating system and metal solidification
Riser system
Powder metallurgy
Polymers
Plastics
Metal forming methods
Assembly
Machining

And I want someone to recommend a book or books that explain these subjects in a good way for beginners cause I don't understand them from my university book
Please help

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply say that these are not well explained in your textbook, but you don't identify what you think is missing. What do you want? More theoretical explanations? More descriptions of actual existing hardware? More examples? What do you want?

Likes berkeman
Dr.D said:
You simply say that these are not well explained in your textbook, but you don't identify what you think is missing. What do you want? More theoretical explanations? More descriptions of actual existing hardware? More examples? What do you want?
Thanks for replying
I simply want a book that explains these subjects in a good way

I think you can rest assured that the author of your textbook thinks that he has done that. If you cannot specify what you think the deficiency is, then that suggests the problem is more with you than with the textbook.

AhmedHesham said:
The book is of really low quality
Can you give us the textbook name and author and edition? Is it in English or a different language?

berkeman said:
Can you give us the textbook name and author and edition? Is it in English or a different language?
Thanks for replying
The book is actually in Arabic
It's really a bad book
Our education system is different from yours
I suspect that the professor himself does really understand the material.

Dr.D said:
I think you can rest assured that the author of your textbook thinks that he has done that. If you cannot specify what you think the deficiency is, then that suggests the problem is more with you than with the textbook.
Actually the problems of the book are too many to discuss .
For example the references of the book
Sometimes the words in the book are a copy of the reference if not all
I said that I read in other books and understood them so the problem is not within me
I'm Egyptian and cannot speak English that well to discuss in details the problems of the book
Thanks

AhmedHesham said:
I'm Egyptian and cannot speak English that well to discuss in details the problems of the book
Thanks
Are you comfortable studying books that are written in English? If so, I can look back at some of the textbooks that I liked in Undergrad to try to find some that cover some of the topics you listed...

berkeman said:
Are you comfortable studying books that are written in English? If so, I can look back at some of the textbooks that I liked in Undergrad to try to find some that cover some of the topics you listed...
Yes I'm comfortable but not perfectly but It is fine

Go to any of the on-line booksellers and see what they have to offer. I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.

Dr.D said:
Go to any of the on-line booksellers and see what they have to offer. I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.
OK thanks

1. What is manufacturing engineering?

Manufacturing engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and optimization of manufacturing processes and systems. It involves the use of various tools and techniques to improve efficiency, productivity, and quality in the production of goods.

2. What are some common topics covered in manufacturing engineering books?

Some common topics covered in manufacturing engineering books include manufacturing processes, materials and their properties, quality control, production planning and scheduling, automation and robotics, and supply chain management.

3. Are there any specific books that are recommended for beginners in manufacturing engineering?

Yes, there are several books that are recommended for beginners in manufacturing engineering. Some popular titles include "Introduction to Manufacturing Processes" by John A. Schey, "Manufacturing Engineering and Technology" by Serope Kalpakjian and Steven Schmid, and "Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing" by Mikell P. Groover.

4. How can reading manufacturing engineering books benefit professionals in the field?

Reading manufacturing engineering books can benefit professionals in the field by providing them with up-to-date knowledge and techniques to improve their skills and stay competitive in the industry. It can also help them stay informed about new technologies and advancements in the field.

5. Are there any follow-up questions or exercises included in manufacturing engineering books?

Yes, many manufacturing engineering books include follow-up questions and exercises to help readers test their understanding and apply the concepts they have learned. These can be helpful in reinforcing the material and improving overall comprehension.