1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mapping a matrix to the null space

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to run a model in matlab. D is a 2 by 3 matrix, Knowing that DL=0, which means L is mapped to the null space.

2. Relevant equations
    How can i find L so that it is a 3 by 3 matrix with all its entries being one times a scalar.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used null(D) to find L, the solution is a 1X3 matrix (a vector). Since i want a three by three matrix, can i just say that L=[null(D), null(D), null(D)] since L is mapped to the null space(a zeros vector/matrix) thus does not matter if i extend it from a vector to a matrix anyways. Also, can i put an alpha in front of the L to ajust its value so that all its entries equal to 1?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

you may need to give some more info on what you are trying to accomplish

geomtrically, we can consider the multiplication as follows;
    [tex] D.L = \begin{pmatrix} d_1^T \\ d_2^T \\ \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} l_1 & l_2 & l_3 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

So as the column vectors l_i are perpindcular to all the row vectors d_j, you will have the required matrix.

Note that if d_1 and d_2 are linearly indpendent, then there will only be one unique l_i, upto a multiplicative constant

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    D is not linearly independent, and L has to be all one times a scalar. How should i ask matlab to build such a matrix?

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook