Mapping Points on the Bloch Sphere

In summary, arkajad's goal is to limit the range of qubits in a certain state by selecting a region on the Bloch sphere where the expectation values of the qubits are restricted. This will hopefully prevent the qubit from collapsing to one of its two possible states.
captainhampto
Hey guys,

I'm attempting to map some discrete points on the surface of the Bloch sphere:

237px-Bloch_spheresvg.png

For instance, the full spectrum of ranges for variable theta is 0 < theta < pi. However, my goal is to limit that range from some theta_1 < theta < theta_2. I was going to use a spherical harmonic technique to limit the ranges, but my question is this:

If I do succeed in limiting the ranges, will this actually map to these new points (theta_1 and theta_2) or will it simply alter the probability of the qubit represented by the Bloch sphere to collapsing to either basis state of 0 or 1?

My main goal is to have some value between theta_1 and theta_2 arise from this technique so that I do not get the full spectrum of 0 to pi. If a better technique exists I would be most obliged to learn of it.

If any further clarification is needed, please do not hesitate to post a response, as perhaps I am leaving out some detail that is crucial. Either way, thanks and looking forward to some responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
To map from where to where? And why is mapping a point from one set to another set a problem?

To map from some point on the sphere denoted by spherical coordinations (theta_1, phi_1) to (theta_2, ph_2).

where instead of the full range:

0 <= theta <= 180
0 <= phi <= 360

the ranges are limited by some theta_1, theta_2, phi_1, and phi_2:

theta_1 <= theta <= theta_2
phi_1 <= phi <= phi_2

I have a pretty good idea of how to limit the ranges, basically by creating a set of new functions which are orthonormal over the set of new value ranges.

I suppose my main question is that, using these new functions on the sphere, when the qubit is observed will it collapse to some point on the sphere? Or will it simply alter the probability of the qubit collapsing to either state.

Or, perhaps if I am making this too complex. Basically, if there is a cleaner method for obtaining some value between the ranges of

theta_1 <= theta <= theta_2
phi_1 <= phi <= phi_2

when the qubit collapses, that is what I am after.

Thanks again, and I hope this clears up some of my intent. If not, I really do not mind trying to clear up more if you or anyone else is still not following my reasoning. (I apologize if so)

I don't know if this will help or not, but every pure state of a qubit is described by the density matrix

[tex]\rho(\mathbf{n})=\frac{1}{2}(I+\mathbb{\sigma}\cdot\mathbf{n})[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{n}[/itex] is the unit vector.

It follows that

[tex]\mbox{Tr }(\sigma_3\rho(\mathbf{n}))=\cos(\theta)[/tex]

Last edited:
So, one can select a region on the Bloch sphere simply by restricting the ranges of expectation values of, say, [itex]\sigma_3[/itex] and [itex]\sigma_1[/itex].

Thanks a lot for the help arkajad. I will certainly give your approach a shot. Thanks again.

What is the Bloch Sphere and why is it used in quantum computing?

The Bloch Sphere is a visual representation of the state of a two-level quantum system. It is used in quantum computing to represent the state of a qubit, which is the basic unit of quantum information.

How do you map points on the Bloch Sphere?

To map points on the Bloch Sphere, you first need to know the state of the qubit. This can be represented by a vector with two components, which can be plotted on the Bloch Sphere. The north pole of the sphere represents the state |0>, and the south pole represents the state |1>. Any point on the surface of the sphere represents a superposition of these two states.

What do the different points on the Bloch Sphere represent?

The different points on the Bloch Sphere represent the state of the qubit and can be interpreted as different quantum states. For example, the equator of the sphere represents a superposition of |0> and |1>, while points on the surface represent a superposition of these two states with different probabilities.

How is the Bloch Sphere used in quantum algorithms?

The Bloch Sphere is used in quantum algorithms to visualize and manipulate the state of qubits. It can help in understanding and designing quantum algorithms, as well as in measuring and manipulating the state of the qubits during the computation process.

What are the limitations of using the Bloch Sphere in quantum computing?

One limitation of using the Bloch Sphere is that it can only represent two-level quantum systems, while real quantum computers have multiple qubits with more complex states. Additionally, the Bloch Sphere does not account for other sources of error in quantum systems, such as decoherence and noise. Therefore, while it is a useful tool, it is not a complete representation of the complexities of quantum computing.