Phase, Bloch sphere versus Feynman path

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the phase used in Feynman's path integral formulation and the phase expressed in the development of the Bloch sphere. While there is no direct relation between the two phases, a particle with spin can also be treated using a path integral method, as discussed in some condensed-matter field theory books such as X-G Wen's Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems. The figure 2.4 in the book shows a connection between the Bloch sphere and the path integral. The person thanking Demystifier for the helpful answer and reference.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am pretty sure that I would be comparing apples and oranges in this question, but as I usually learn something from the responses telling me in detail that my question is silly, here goes: Does the phase used as a weight in Feynman's path integral formulation (i.e., the quantum action S in the factor eiS/ħ) have anything to do with either the (ignored) phase as expressed in the development of the Bloch sphere (i.e., the γ in |ψ> = e(cos (θ/2)|0> + esin(θ/2)|1>), or perhaps the relative phase differences? On the face of it, it seems not, but I would like to make sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bloch sphere describes a "particle" with spin but without a position. Feynman path integral usually describes the opposite, a particle with position but without spin. In this sense, there is usually no relation between the two phases.

On the other hand, a particle with spin can also be treated by a path integral method (which should not be confused with Grassmann-number path "integral" method for fermion fields), but that is a separate topic treated in some condensed-matter field theory books. I like the treatment in X-G Wen, Quantum Field Theory of Many-Body Systems, Sec. 2.3 Quantum spin, the Berry phase, and the path integral. In Fig. 2.4 you will see a relation with the Bloch sphere.

Likes nomadreid
Thank you very much, Demystifier. You not only answered my question, but gave me an interesting reference. Very helpful.
(I will look at the chapter more carefully anon. I presume this is the figure that you are referring to.)
Wen.PNG

Attachments

• Wen.PNG
    Wen.PNG
    60.4 KB · Views: 413
Likes Demystifier

1. What is a phase?

A phase refers to the position of a wave or oscillation at a specific point in time. It is often represented as an angle and can be used to describe the relationship between two waves or the state of a quantum system.

2. What is the Bloch sphere?

The Bloch sphere is a geometric representation of the quantum state of a two-level system, such as a qubit. It is a unit sphere with the north and south poles representing the basis states, and the equator representing superpositions of those states.

3. How does the Bloch sphere relate to Feynman path?

The Bloch sphere and Feynman path are two different ways of visualizing and understanding quantum systems. The Bloch sphere is a geometric representation, while Feynman path involves calculating the probability of different paths a particle can take in a quantum system.

4. What information can be obtained from the Bloch sphere and Feynman path?

The Bloch sphere can provide information about the quantum state of a two-level system, such as the probability of finding it in a certain state or the effect of a quantum operation. Feynman path allows for the calculation of the probability of a particle's path in a quantum system, which can provide insight into the behavior of the system.

5. How are the Bloch sphere and Feynman path used in quantum computing?

The Bloch sphere and Feynman path are important tools in understanding and manipulating quantum systems, which is crucial in quantum computing. They can help with designing quantum algorithms and analyzing the behavior of quantum systems.