1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Marginal PMG of of 2 random variables with Joint PMF

1. Oct 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two random variables X and Y with joint PMF given by:
    PXY(k,L) = 1/(2k+l), for k,l = 1,2,3,....

A) Show that X and Y are independent and find the marginal PMFs of X and Y
    B) Find P(X2 + Y2 ≤ 10)

2. Relevant equations
    P(A)∩P(B)/P(B) = P(A|B)
    P(A|B) = P(A) if independent

3. The attempt at a solution
    Choosing two arbitrary numbers to show P(A|B) = P(A)

P(x<2) ∩ P(y≤1) / P(y≤1)
    =P(1,1) + P(1,2) + P(1,3)... + P(1, L) ∩ P(1,1) + P(1,2) + P(1,3)...+ P(k,1) / P(y≤1)
    =P(1,1) / P(1,1) + P(1,2) + P(1,3)... + P(k,1)
    Note: Geometric series
    =(1/4) / (1/2)(1/2^k)
    =(1/4) / (1/4)(1 / (1 - (1/2)))
    =(1/4) / 2
    = 1/2

P(A) = P(x<2) = P(1,L) =
    =1/4 (1/2L)
    =1/4 (1 / (1 - (1/2)))
    =1/4 (2)
    = 1/2

X and Y are independent.

How does one find the Marginal PMF of this equation then? The ones I've seen before in discrete sections were pre-made and finite... meaning that they were a table of results for X =1,2,3... and Y = 1,2,3... for the range of each. Should I be finding a summation for each value of X + Y?

I haven't considered part B yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The marginal pmf of ##X## is ##P_X(k) = P(X = k) = P(X = k \: \& \; Y= \text{anything})##. Note that for ##l = 1,2,3 \ldots## the different events ##\{ X = k, Y = l \}## are disjoint (mutually exclusive), so the probability of ##\{ X = k \: \& \; Y \in \{ 1,2,3, \ldots \} \} ## is just the sum of their probabilities for different ##l##.

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3
    How does this differ from PXY, because that's what it sounds like. If the marginal pmf is P(X = k and Y equals anything), it sounds like I'm looking for PXY(k,l)

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4
    Sorry, it differs by definition. PXY(K,L) = PX(K)PY(L) which, in this case, equals:
    1 / (2K) * 1 / (2L).

6. Oct 26, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right: and ##P_X(k) = \sum_{l=1}^{\infty} P_{XY}(k,l)##, etc.

By the way, the fact that ##P_{XY}(k,l) = P_X(k) P_Y(l)## is what makes ##X## and ##Y## independent. You did not convincingly show independence in your previous post, because you only showed a few examples of ##P(X \in A \; \& \; Y \in B) = P(X \in A) \, P(Y \in B)## for one or two special cases of ##A## and ##B##. To prove independence, you need to establish this for all possible choices of ##A## and ##B##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted