1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov Chains and Limit question : Where have I gone wrong?

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1
    I am doing question 2 here:

2qtzdx4.png

My solution so far is this:

5eg5dw.jpg

Where have I gone wrong? I'm assuming I'm taking the wrong limit but I'm really stumped here and no idea what else it should be..

I hope my writing is ok, I tried to be as neat as possible!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2
    Your indexes k and n are not independent, but it looks like you have "independent" limits and terms in the sums, although I believe you have taken the limit with k = n. If I understood correctly, you should have k = n-3. If you plug this in you should get something else.

4. Jan 4, 2012 #3
    I did initially have k = n-3, but I swapped to k because I thought the n's on the LHS and the RHS were different (and independant), and it was confusing me.

Putting k = n-3 does it really change anything? I can't see what it changes..

Thanks

5. Jan 4, 2012 #4
    I'm sorry, it doesn't change a thing. But now I noticed that the sum isn't calculated correctly, you should change k back to n-3 so you can see the flaw. The sum is actually
    [itex] \sum_{n=3}^{\infty}\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{a(n-3)}-\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{a(n-2)}[/itex] so the cancellations are not correct.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  6. Jan 4, 2012 #5
    starting at n=3 I get (1 - Na) : n=4 I get (Na - N2a)

etc

Isn't it the same cancellation?

7. Jan 4, 2012 #6
    Aren't consecutive terms at indexes n, n+1 like so:

[itex]a_n= \left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{a(n-3)}-\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{a(n-2)}[/itex]
    [itex]a_{n+1}= \left(\frac{n+1}{n+2}\right)^{a(n-2)}-\left(\frac{n+1}{n+2}\right)^{a(n-1)}[/itex]?

8. Jan 4, 2012 #7
    Ah of course, woops!

where do I go from here, I assume I can't cancel any of them, right?

Not sure how to sum that series either..

9. Jan 4, 2012 #8
    Yes, it looks like a very tough series to me. I don't know where to go from there. I don't know anything about Markov chains so I don't know how you calculate the [itex]f_n^i[/itex] 's. Did you calculate them by [itex]T^{(n)}=T(1)\cdots T(n)?[/itex]
    cause it looks to me like you should have [itex]f_3^3 = 1/2 \cdot 1 \cdot (1-\frac{3}{3+1})^a[/itex]
    [itex]f_3^4 = 1/2 \cdot 1 \cdot (\frac{3}{3+1})^a \cdot (1-\frac{4}{4+1})^a[/itex]
    [itex]f_3^5 = 1/2 \cdot 1 \cdot (\frac{3}{3+1})^a \cdot (\frac{4}{4+1})^a \cdot (1-\frac{5}{5+1})^a[/itex]
    and so forth. Mayby I'm not interpreting the probabilities correctly, as I said, I'm not familiar with these...

10. Jan 4, 2012 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the system is in state 5 at time n, the probability that it remains in state 5 at times n+1, n+2,...,n+k is
    [tex] \left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^a \left(\frac{n+1}{n+2}\right)^a \cdots \left(\frac{n+k-1}{n+k}\right)^a = \left( \frac{n}{n+k}\right)^a, [/tex]
    which --> 0 as k --> infinity. You can fix up this argument to show that [itex] \Pr \{ X_{n+k}=5 \; \mbox{ i.o. } |X_n = 5 \} = 0, [/itex], so state 5 is left with probability 1 at a finite time. When that happens, the system returns to state 3, implying that state 3 is recurrent.

RGV

11. Jan 4, 2012 #10
    If it is calculated like I suspect it is, then you will get a satisfying answer.
    So first we want to find out what [itex]f_3^n[/itex] is when [itex]n\geq 3:[/itex]

[itex]f_3^n = \displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\cdot1\cdot\left(\prod_{k=3}^{n-1}\left(\frac{k}{k+1}\right)^a\right)\cdot\left(1-\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^a\right) = \frac{1}{2}\cdot\left(\frac{(n-1)!}{2}\cdot\frac{2\cdot3}{n!}\right)^a\cdot\left(1-\left(\frac{n}{n+1}\right)^a\right)[/itex]
    [itex] \displaystyle = \frac{1}{2} \cdot \left( \frac{3}{n} \right)^a \cdot \left(1-\left( \frac{n}{n+1} \right)^a \right) = \frac{3^a}{2} \cdot \left(\frac{1}{n^a}- \frac{1}{(n+1)^a}\right)[/itex]
    So now the sum of the probabilities is easy to calculate, and I believe that you will finally get the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook