1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Markov property and chemical oscillators

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody...

I've been working a bit with models of chemical oscillators and I've run into something that isn't quite clear to me.

Chemical reaction systems are typically regarded as having the Markov property -- they lack memory and their evolution depends only on their current state. Under a not-too-restrictive set of conditions, Markov chains will have a stationary distribution: the basic requirement seems to be that any state be reachable from any other in a finite number of steps. This seems like something that will generally be true for chemical systems, at least on the lattice of stoichiometrically-compatible states.

Here's where this starts to bother me: it's also fairly easy to set up a Monte Carlo simulation of a chemical reaction system that shows bulk oscillations. Do chemical oscillators somehow violate the conditions required for Markov chain stationarity? Or am I comparing apples and oranges here? This seems like a reasonable question, but an hour or so of poking around on the internet has turned up nothing directly relevant.

Thanks!

--craig

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

"There is a stationary distribution" and "everything will approach a stationary distribution" are two completely different things. In addition, I think even those chemical oscillators will approach an equilibrium after a while.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook