1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mars One to be unveiling the design of their martian habitats

Tags:
  1. May 17, 2013 #1
    I read on the Mars One website that Bas Lansdorp (the director of Mars One) will talk about the design of their Martian habitats during the ISDC conference in San Diego, California next Thursday:

http://mars-one.com/en/mars-one-news/presentations-events

They also expect to start building a replica of the habitat for the astronauts to train in this summer. One way or another I think we'll get to know what the Martian habitats look like quite soon.

What do you think the design should look like? What should be included in a Martian habitat do you think to make sure the astronauts are safe and comfortable in their new home?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2013 #2
    Well, due to the fact that they have to launch the habitat modules off the Earth, they don't have many options. Styles include "Soyuz Circular" or "Dragon X compatible".

As far as comfort, ALOT of booze.

4. May 17, 2013 #3
    The Mars Society has been using some test cubicles for several years:

http://www.marssociety.org/

On the humerus side, has anyone considered the possibility of wealthy people opening foreign bank accounts on Mars to avoid taxation?

5. May 18, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl:

Yeah... who could afford to extradite?

As with any planetary or satellite body, including here on Earth, I firmly believe that the only sane way to build is underground. Windows and sunroofs can be installed on hillsides and in attics for sunlight and a view, so claustrophobia shouldn't present a problem.

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    Press release
    http://mars-one.com/en/mars-one-new...437-78000-sign-up-for-one-way-mission-to-mars

Only 15 more weeks to sign up for a one-way trip to Mars.
    If they can figure out in 20 years how to put the thing into reverse, it might become a full round trip and back.

7. May 22, 2013 #6
    Meteor impacts Humans on Mars witness

So I have heard about Humans that will be going to Mars. My question is with the Martian atmosphere so thin wouldn't that make meteor and asteroid impacts more likely? Wouldn't this mean that the Martian explorers would experience a meteor crater type event every few years or even more frequently?

8. May 24, 2013 #7
    The limited atmosphere would mean that smaller sized meteors would hit the Martian surface rather than burn up in the atmosphere as they would do for earth. A crater event would have not much to do with the atmosphere but with how many of those sized objects cross the martian orbit.
    I don't recall any report about a rover on Mars ever having recorded such an event.

In addition, I am sure you can think up other scenarios that Mars One has not covered very much, or have not been not very forthcoming as being issues that could have an impact on the survivability of the members of the mission. There are very many loose ends that they do not have an answer to. Right now it seems to be for them to be visibly out there in the public, so if ever a mission is possible with some new technology, they are hoping to be the choice of front runners.

9. May 26, 2013 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I should have a head start for the colonization race, since I already need supplemental oxygen. :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook