1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass Balance & Waste generation

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone!

So I'm working on constructing a simple mass balance for a cake. I didn't have any problems doing that, but I was asked about waste that is generated in the process of making the cake. Is there really a waste generated in this kind of process? I've also been asked to discuss how the amounts of waste generation changes when it is being produced in a factory setting.

Here is the materials that I'm using for the cake:

Flour, eggs, oil, water, baking powder and heat

I was thinking that egg shells will be generated as waste. Thats all I came up with.

Please give me some advice if you have any. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2
    Coming from the compounding side there is more waste than you would think.

Any powdered material will be sucked into the dust collection system. Oil/water will get spilled, eggs will be broken etc. I think you can safely say 1-2% is lost as waste.

Water will also be evloved in the baking as water vapor.

And is every cake removed completely from the pan?

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    Thanks a lot for the help. I have a better understanding of what to do now. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?